Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Dylan


It is hard to believe that a year ago tonight I was in the midst of preparing to be at the hospital at 4:30am. The feeling of anticipation and dread at the same time were overwhelming. Those of you who have had C-sections will understand what I mean. Poor Harold was sick most of the night, so I lay beside him and went through a list of people in my mind that I could possibly call up at 4:00am and say "Hey, would you like to get up and take pictures in an operating room this morning?". Thankfully he revived in time to personally see his fourth and final son make his entrance into the world. He was born at 7:05am a whopping 7lbs. 11oz. He was of course one of the four most beautiful newborns to ever grace this earth. The hospital was so full that they had to keep me in the recovery room until 3:00 that afternoon. My poor parents who were dying to get their hands on him had to wait in the lobby. I on the other hand had him right beside me and was too sick to hold him. I know how frustrating it must be to not be able to see your baby right after he is born, but to have him right there and not be able to pick him up is torture.
People often ask me if I am disappointed that we didn't have a girl. I truthfully can say that it doesn't bother me at all. There were a few hours after we found out that he was a boy that I mourned a little. Once I got used to the idea of four boys I never longed for a girl again. Dylan has been such a joy that I can't even imagine what life would be like if he was a girl.
He is truly the "baby" of the family. I can't leave him in his bed crying for any amount of time before his brothers nearly collapse with sympathy for him. Ethan is his all-time hero, all he has to do is walk in the room and Dylan starts laughing. I absolutely love the interaction at this age, he would give high fives all day if there were someone so accept them. On Veteran's Day at church he was sound asleep on my lap, everyone started clapping, he woke up clapped for about five seconds and immediately zonked back out. There is no food like Cheerios for him, just put him in his high chair with a handful and he is as happy as if he had a slice of cake.
He loves his Maw maw and Paw paw dearly. They have started keeping him at their house sometimes when I work. He thinks he is the "King" getting to sleep between them.
So on November 29 we celebrate his first birthday. Please help us pray that he will grow up to be a man that God can use to do great things through.

18 comments:

lauralavon said...

Kayla, I don't have an email for you. Hope it's OK to put the recipe here. It is in my archives if this doesn't work for you for some reason.
Enjoy!

Caramels
1.5 C sugar
1.5 C Half & Half
1/2 t. salt
1.5 C white corn syrup
1/2 C evaporated milk
4 T butter
1 t. vanilla
Place all ingredients, except butter, evaporated milk and vanilla in a large heavy kettle.
Stir over medium heat.
When boiling, add evaporated milk gradually.
Add butter when starts to thicken.
Cook stirring constantly until forms firm flexible ball in cold water.
Remove from heat.
Add vanilla.
Pour into well buttered pan.
Store in refrigerator.
Cut next day.

Kimberly said...

Happy Bday to Dylan and many xoxoxo's from me!!
(wish I were there to "high 5" him!:)

Florida Bozone Bunch said...

Dylan is a real sweetheart. He has a way of drawing people to him-makes you want to squeeze him. I know you are a good mommy to him. Happy Birthday Dylan!!

Misty said...

Happy Birthday Dylan!! He is such a cutie and so sweet too! I got so tickled at him and Kathryn playing Sunday night....she would just pat him on the head and follow him around.

Mary Ellen said...

Well you already know how I feel about him - I sure did enjoy having him in the nursery on Sun. AM so I could squish and sqeeze him. I didn't realize then he was almost one, wow did that go fast.

Happy Birthday to one very sweet, VERY cute, very sqeezy little guy.

Tara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Betty said...

Happy birthday to Dylan! Time sure does fly. He's a cutie!

Tara said...

Happy Birthday, Dylan! Can't believe it's been a year already...how does the time slip by like that? Seems like only yesterday I was talking to Harold after baby's safe arrival. Dylan's newborn shot looks like he could have been one of my babies...fair and red-headed!:)

CrazieChrisa said...

Wow...I can't believe he is one already!!!! He was such an ADORABLE baby!!!! Happy Birthday, Dylan!!!

Liz said...

So cute...wish I could cover his face with kisses!!! Great post and loved the Thanksgiving one as well. I probably won't be adding anything new to mine for awhile as I am so sick still. My Doc has tried two different meds for nausea. We will see if this new one works. Keep the great posts coming...

emily said...

Kayla,
Fourth & final son sounds soo...well...FINAL!! Are you sure?? I know a certain teacher of ours that would have mightily disagreed with you=) I know what you mean about being fine with it being a boy. I am excited to be having a girl, but I said all along that I really would have been very happy with a boy. I know nobody believes that...but it is true...I am so glad for my boys & wouldn't have minded one bit if this one was one too. But now she needs friends...sooo...are you sure you meant final? =) Happy Birthday to your baby!

A Moment in the Life of a Mother said...

Katie says "Happy Birthday Dylan"!! She hopes it was grand.

Charity said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog, Kayla. I read yours, too. I always feel more rested and relaxed with my 2 after thinking about your 4 ;o)!!!
The reason the comment thingie wouldn't show up is I had a weird colored font thing going on. So I just changed it, and it should be fine now. Happy b-day to your 'baby' and condolences to your little orthopedic patient.

Julia said...

Kayla;

What a cutie, I'd love to squeeze him. I am a bit concerned that the kindergarten at HSBA doesn't have more pilgrims Hmmm? :) So sorry about the bike accident! OUCH!
I understand why you nap at your parent's house. I still say it is the napping capitol of the world.

jenny said...

Happy Bday Dylan...I enjoyed reading every word...and totally relate!

The Pilgrims and Indians were adorable.

Loved getting a peek into your MFI community.

The Dickinsons said...

Thanks, Kayla, for your nice comment on my blog. Dylan is such a cutie! Please tell your parents I said Happy Belated Anniversary! =)

SOOOOO SORRY about the broken ankle, OUCH! The caramels that "Toots" posted sounded so good because I wouldn't have to use a candy thermomator, but alas I cannot get white corn syrup here...so there went that recipe. =(

Take care, and give that adorable baby a hug for me.

Love, Heather and baby =)

Making Memories 1999 said...

Happy belated birthday to two of your precious boys!! I enjoyed the birthday pictures your posted! And with the good Mommy and Daddy that they have, I'm sure they will grow up to be Godly men!! Thank you!

Please give your parents my belated happy anniversary wishes. They are two of the sweetest people I know!! You can asked your Daddy if he is still "DRRRRRRRENCHED" (said with plenty of "trill" on the R's) I miss him asking me that - in honor of Anne of Avonlea!! :-) What wonderful parents you have! And I have to agree with Juwah, their home is one of the most calm, peaceful, and beautiful "havens" I could imagine! How your Mother accomplished that, I'm not sure, but I LOVED going into their home. I just wanted to give a relaxing sigh whenever I entered.

Trust you have a blessed Christmas season, my friend!! God bless!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Dylan! What a precious boy. So much enjoyed catching up on your life a bit. The Pilgrims and Indians brought back many memories of my own kindergarten experience. I am especially impressed that Mrs. Deckard dressed up as well. I'm not sure Mrs. Capps did that. I was a Pilgrim, but I think being an Indian would have been much cooler. You know, the feathers and all. White caps, capes and buckles just don't compare.

Also, a belated Happy Anniversary to your parents. They are truly special people.