Monday, November 5, 2007

Casey, Ahem! Harry At the Bat

Friday night was a grand event here in HS, the ACTS VS. the YMFers in a glorious game of softball. Now my dear husband loves to play softball, but it has been quite a few years since has he played and we all know what a few years can do. Bless his heart, he actually considered not playing at all just to save his reputation. Come Friday night though he was out on the field, new glove in hand, ready to hit at whatever was thrown in his direction. Collin had shown a little concern that Daddy might strike out, so that was weighing heavily on his mind as he stepped up to the plate. It must have been fate that there was a detective there to give some advice, we all know how good they are at figuring things out, and this one must have known what it would take for Harry to hit a home run.

So Harry positioned himself perfectly, ready for the pitch.
He swings the bat with all the power he can muster.
The ball flies into the sky and over the fence, Harry runs the bases with the ease of a deer running across the interstate.

Older men stood in awe of what had happened, they talked of it long into the night.


Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;
But there is no joy in HS, Oh yes there is, Mighty Harry did not strike out.

13 comments:

Liz said...

Oh Kayla!!! Such an awesome and enjoyable post!! Your a poet and didn't know it!!! Congrats Harold......I am sure Wes H. and Glen A. were indeed in awe....ha!!

Tara said...

LOL! Very cute post. So proud of Heeeruld.

Florida Bozone Bunch said...

I don't think you told the whole story. I am sure that Harold was an asset to the team--they did need help. I must remind the bloggers that although Harold hit a home run, his team was defeated by the ACTS (my husband's team). We did have a great time Saturday night. It was so much fun freezing together out there at the courts.

Twila G. said...

I am sooo impressed! Sounds like a lot of fun!! Wish I could have been there.

Eileen said...

Good blog thanks for sharing.

Betty said...

I am impressed! So glad Harold didn't strike out. Love the poem too.

Mary Ellen said...

What a cute post, sorry our team had to go ahead and show the younger guys who is boss!

It was a very fun night, and nice to have a joint activity, I'm glad to see my flailing hands kept me off the page - hee hee!

Misty said...

You are good!! I must say, I love that last picture :-)

Anonymous said...

Truly a classic!

Kelly S said...

Yehhhh Harold!:) I remember those games during our school days. I think we had more fun sitting on the bleachers making fun of the outfits the guys could come up with to play in.

Chris & Amy said...

Hey! Thanks for the sweet comments... we do what we can :). I'm due on June 27th, so it will be a while yet...

Julia said...

So, why don't you write books from home and stop this crazy nursing stuff. You got talent my friend. TOO CUTE!

Anonymous said...

Very, Very funny! I couldn't stop laughing every time you said "Harry"! LOL!