Monday, November 19, 2007

Landon


On November 20, 2003 we welcomed Landon Keller into our family. Our third son has brought us so much joy that we can't imagine what life would be without him. I was several weeks pregnant with him when I first went to the doctor. After doing a blood test they informed me that I wasn't pregnant and if I would come back in a week they would give me an injection to get me back to normal. Thank God for good intuition, I waited a week and then insisted on another test. That time it came back positive. During the the second ultrasound I remember the tech asking me if I would be okay if she told me that it was another boy. I responded "of course, as long as he's healthy". I'm not exactly sure what she expected me to do, weep and wail I guess.
He has been full of surprises from the moment he was born. The first thing I heard Harold say after delivery was "he's got tons of black hair". Now for those of you who have seen our other newborns, you know how shocking that was for us. We thought we might have to name him Running Deer or Flying Eagle instead of Landon after we saw him. I had to start inquiring about the Indians in Harold's ancestry. Honestly, he was one of the most beautiful newborns I have ever seen, even if I am a little prejudiced.
This past year with his older brothers in school and Dylan being a baby, Landon has become my little helper. I don't think I could make mashed potatoes without him to put them in the pot after I cut them up. He absolutely loves to dust, and I gladly take him up on his offers to "cween the tables" for me. When nap time comes I have to snuggle with him, and he is one good snuggler.
People often ask me who he looks like. It is true that he has a different look than his brothers. I wasn't really sure myself until we pulled out this picture of my Grandfather, my Mom's Dad. Genetics are truly amazing. You can see the straight hair and same facial structure popped back up three generations later. This picture is to prove that he wasn't switched on us.
We had a small party for him tonight even though it was a day early. He requested a farm party, and had to dress the part. The camera wasn't working right so this is a little blurry, but I still had to share it.
The rest of this week is full of activities. I will be eating turkey and stuffing for the next three days, with the kindergarten feast tomorrow and dinner at MFI on Wed, then Thanksgiving day. If anyone sees me and I look a little stuffed myself please be understanding. I'll try to share these events with you as soon as I get the chance. Until then everyone have a very wonderful Thanksgiving.

12 comments:

becky said...

Awe, he looks cute in his farmer outfit. Yes, isn't it amazing that each child can look so differnt, but still look like someone in the family. Great pictures, thanks for sharing. Becky (Ruth's sister)

Tara said...

Aw, Kayla! How time does fly. Seems like just yesterday I was calling to check on you after Landon was born....if I recall, you had a NEW newborn and still hosted Thanksgiving that year! He is indeed a beautiful boy. Happy Birthday, Landon! And Happy Thanksgiving to all the fam...give my love to Mr. Woody and Ms. Nellrina.

Tara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Dickinsons said...

He's a cutie. I'm soooo glad that you waited and insisted on another test and found out you were expecting another gift from Jesus...instead of getting some medication to get you back to "normal". =)

After reading you and Kimberly's comment on my blog about Colombian coffee, I posted the following comment.

Hey, Kimberly. COME ON DOWN! We'll show you around beautiful Colombia, feed you well, treat you to YUMMY Colombian coffee and LOVE having you!! Just call for reservations. =D


Love ya, Heather =)

Liz said...

I remember when he was born and "helping" you get better afterwards!! He was indeed a pretty baby. I miss the boys so much and I know Katy would enjoy them. Happy 4th Birthday Landon Keller!!!!

Betty said...

Happy birthday to Landon! I didn't realize he and Zach's birthday's were so close. Glad you enjoyed your farm party. We had spiderman! Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

Anonymous said...

A Happy Belated Birthday to Landon, and kudos to great parents who are helping to mold him into a man of God. Blessings!

emily said...

Kayla-vern,
Not sure about the ancestor picture...because I still say he looks like he's one of ours=)

Looking forward to seeing you at Christmas!
Love ya!

Mary Ellen said...

Never thought about it before...but if that last comment is from the same Emily who has a sister named Ada...he DOES look a lot like her boys!

He is a real cutie...a farm party is a great idea, love the outfit.

Julia said...

Kayla;

I think Landon looks like you, always have. Love the pictures. It's sad not to see you all more often, so glad we have blogs so we can at least enjoy from afar.

Happy Thanksgiving my friend. I am so thankful for you.

H.O.P.E. said...

Kayla, thank you so much for sharing when I saw Ladon's pic when he was born, it made me think of our grandson Ethan he looked a lot like that and then all three of my daughters had all that black hair. Sure brings the memories back to me.
Then it is great that you were brought up by loving christian parents.
Ladon by the way really looked cute in his farmer outfit.
I will probably by seeing you in a few weeks. Have a Blessed Thanksgiving. Again thanks for sharing.

Kimberly said...

Lots of love to Landon...bless his heart and his foot!!!!