Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween Alternative

I took Landon to Story Time at the library yesterday for a little party and parade they were having. This picture just had to be shared. I've always had a weakness for a man in uniform, and he proved to be no exception.

Last night Julie and I decided to give the kids a Pumpkin Party as a Halloween alternative. I borrowed Mrs. Deckard's book "The Pumpkin Parable". We were supposed to be learning about "Create in me a pure heart" when we cleaned out the seeds and pulp, "He has taken our sins away from us as far as the east is from the west" when we threw it away never to be seen again, "We all show the Lord's glory, and we are being changed to be like him" when we gave the pumpkin a new face, and "In the same way, you should be a light for other people, Live so that they will see the good things you do. Live so that they will praise your Father in heaven" when we put the candle in. The overall lesson was supposed to have been "If anyone belongs to Christ, then he is made new". It is such a cute book and I thought it would be a good time of teaching. Hopefully they gleaned some truth, Julie and I weren't sure, the level of activity going on during the process did not lend itself to learning. Here are a few pictures of the evening for your enjoyment.
Our "pumpkin" meal was supposed to have looked a little more festive, it actually did when all the "pumpkins were on same platter. Harold and I laughed very hard at this picture, as you can see it looks anything but festive.

Here's Julie faithfully cleaning out her little pumpkin.
Here are the finished products. I won't say who did which pumpkin except to say that she's had more experience at this than I have.
As many of you know we have already arranged marriages between our children. Since they have had a girl shortly after we had each of our boys it just works out. Julie and I can make sure we have the Unity Candle thing down to a science. We have many pictures of the two older couples together, but none of the two younger. Getting a picture of Landon and Sammy is no easy thing, but we finally managed to get them still long enough for a couple shots.
Actually it was probably trickier to get a picture of the two little ones. Dylan thought poor Annie was a teething toy, as you can see by the way he couldn't seem to get his tongue back in his mouth.
I hope you enjoy. I promise this will be my last post for this week, so...

14 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

The picture of the scary food was hysterical!!!!

Your handsome little guy in uniform is just too cute!

And those two "betrothed" couples at the end were beyond adorable too...who said matchmaking isn't alive and well?!?!?! "-)

Liz said...

Cute pictures! We do not really harp on the evil and scary things of Halloween but we do allow Katy to dress up (not scary) and take her trick o'treating. We don't have a halloween alternative party for her to attend so we figure it is okay for her to do this for a bit of candy. Love the pumpkin parable. Great idea!

Betty said...

At least you did a pumpkin. I in my business with the new office have neglected to do a pumpkin this year. Oh well, guess theres always next year. Loved the pictures!

Twila G. said...

Always love seeing your pictures!! Hope that water doesn't get any higher. Was anyone brave enough to eat your pumpkin meal?! I am truly impressed by your creativity.

Julia said...

Kayla;

Did Jule give you your hug? What cuties! SO did the kids cry when they saw the food? A little frightening. :)

The canal photos are the scariest of all. Wow, that is high! Be safe friend.

Kimberly said...

Good grief...to the high water and scary, funny food!!

Pics. so cute...and the book sound really great! Love Ya!

Florida Bozone Bunch said...

Landon did look cute in his pilot costume. You are a brave woman to create such scary food. We also did the pumpkin patch parable--the kids enjoy this. We bobbed for apples and had our own party since they canceled the event we had planned to attend. We also went down to the ocean yesterday. Wow, what waves. I am kinda glad to see the sun today.

Marty said...

What a great idea! It was also great to see Julie and a couple of her girls!! Tell her I said Hello!

Kelly S said...

Julie's little girl doesn't look too thrilled about having her pic taken with Landon. Adorable pictures. I would love to spend a day with your boys just listening to the funny things they come up with.

I'm sure your food was very tasty, but it about made my stomach churn just looking at it.

Now about the gator woman - you're nuts! I always suspected, but now I KNOW!

For some reason, whenever I read Hobe Sounder's blogs, y'all sound so carefree. Is it just memories haunting me or is there really something different about the lifestyle there? My life is rather stressful right now. Whenever I read y'all's blogs, I start getting this little nagging longing to be there. I have vacation time coming in a couple of weeks. Maybe that will cure me:)

Eileen said...

Kayla I enjoyed your blog. Thanks for sharing. Love & Prayers, Eileen

Anonymous said...

OK, I laughed out loud at the food picture! That made me so happy! And, truly, a man in uniform can't be beat. Always love your posts. Wish you could have been at the great gathering. Actually, I would have probably seen you for about 30 minutes and had to leave, so it's probably for the best. Blessings!!

Queen Essie said...

What a great idea! I always enjoy reading about your boys antics, too. I know my boys would have a blast with them.
I haven't gotten to post in awhile due to computer malfunction, but getting caught up here - I really enjoyed your post and what you had to say about "Intelligent Design". You have such a great way with words and your post touched me.
Thanks for sharing!

jenny said...

I LOVED seeing the pics of Julie's girls!!!! What beauties...we may have to give you a run for your money with the arranged marriages...we've got three eligible boys of proper age as well.

I think the parable will stick longer than you think. My personal opinion is that the things done at home stick a lot longer than what is said or done at childrens church/VBS.

Kim M. said...

I have to agree with you on the "men in uniform thing". What a little cutie!
Love that idea for Halloween alternatives. I need to check into that~ We carved a pumpkin this year early October but we really didn't do anything else. I would have loved to have a book like that to go with it.

Are you surprised that the scary food didn't bother me? Cute and funny! Loved seeing the pictures of Julie and her girls!