Saturday, June 2, 2007

Graduations and Other Happenings

My first baby made it through kindergarten. Yesterday was quite eventful to say the least. We got up early to get Ethan off to school. He was so nervous and excited that he could hardly get his clothes on. He didn't even want to eat breakfast which is very unusual for him. I made him eat so that he would have energy to make it through until snack time. Harold really regrets that I made that decision. You see Ethan had to sing a solo in the musical they presented before the ceremony. Seeing that he is much more like me instead of his Dad, this was almost more than he could bear. His nerves were on edge. Thankfully we had a plastic bag in the car to catch the contents of his very nervous stomach. I tell you this so that you understand how very proud we were that he stood up in front of everyone and sang. That is a major milestone for him. He actually decided not to be in the spelling bee this year, even though he was the only one who didn't participate, because of his fear of being in the spotlight.
We are so proud of his accomplishments this year. He started last year and we ended up pulling him out because he just wasn't ready. I am now a firm believer in Dobson's recommendation in "Bringing Up Boys" to always hold them back a year. He has been like a different child. We have watched his self-confidence grow leaps and bounds this year.
He got the award for being one of the most imaginative in his class. I think you would agree if you heard some of his descriptions. Awhile back I was putting maple syrup on his waffles, he looked at the syrup and said "Mom, this syrup sure is dark, it's as dark as the day Jesus died on the cross". He never ceases to amaze us with the stories he can tell. I've heard enough knock, knock jokes to last me for years.
They interviewed the kids and put together a book of some of their responses. I'll share a few of them with you if you promise not to laugh too hard.
My favorite subject in school is: Eating lunch
My favorite thing we did in school this year is : Lunch
I love my Mom because: She lets me watch videos. She is 60 yrs old.
I love my Dad because: He takes me places. He is 18 yrs old.
He also said that he likes to watch John Wayne. I have no idea where that came from since he has never seen a John Wayne video. My Dad must be rubbing off on him.


Here's a little update on the product reviews. The day I posted that I got an email from a friend. She said "I have chill bumps on my arms. Just last night I told my husband that we need to see if they have a DVD player for this summer. We decided that if you didn't we would like to get one for you. I even put a sticky note on the fridge, then I got up this morning and read your blog. I'm so glad that God still cares for kids on long trips and for their parents sanity." We are so thankful for good friends who believe in what we are doing.
As for the haircuts, I waited until after graduation so that poor Ethan would look normal. I found a coupon for the Conair haircutting system. It was half the price of the one I originally looked at. I actually just cut the boys hair before they went to bed. They didn't look half bad if I say so myself. Harold even let me cut his. I think he'll wait until I have a little more practice before he lets me near his head again. Oh well, we saved about $30
Everyone have a wonderful Lord's Day tomorrow.

18 comments:

jenny said...

Kayla! You cradle robber... I so wish we lived closer so I could know Ethan personally. His stories are rich.

Tom is proud of Mr. Woody's influence...and figuring our boys might need a little education in Bro. Wayne as well.

On a serious note, praise God for how he supplys our every need--and so many wants beside.

Marty said...

Kayla,

Ethan is so cute!!! I am so proud of him for overcoming his fear and singing in his program!

I will say that you look great for being 60!

I am sooo excited how God is providing your needs. PRAISE THE LORD!

Anita Marie said...

A huge congratulations is in order.

I also wanted to mention that I've started my own book group for all my Christian women friends. You are welcome to join.

http://kindredspiritsbookclub.blogspot.com/

Mary Ellen said...

He did great, I had no idea he was nervous - he doesn't act like it! They were all adorable.

I was at Walmart the other night - and since I was near the section I went and peeked at the DVD players for you, they had two of the double screens left - $160, quite a bit lower then they used to be...in case your benevolent friend reads this. "-)

I'm home sick today so wasn't at church, do we get to see a picture of the new haircuts?

Mary Ellen said...

If you go to my blog http://360.yahoo.com/maryellenhuff there are also some pictures of Ethan on there from the graduation program. If you'd like some of them let me know and I'll email them to you as an attachment.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Ethan!! Keep the stories coming. They bring a lot of joy to this old heart. I say this because if you are 60, there's no hope for me. I must be close to 70. Now...if I could just find an 18 year old...

Kimberly said...

That pic. of "the graduate" is THE BEST! He's already too cool and ironic for words..Lord help us when he's a teenager! I was proud to watch him receive that "most imaginative" award (via internet)..and seriously..what a great award..having such a creative mind is half the battle in learning/originality/etc. (in my HUMBLE opinion) and you didn't mention that at the real awards day he received the award for best in history..his favorite subject..see, at least Aunt Kimmy will brag:)
(and it's terrible to learn your real age in this way..i can't help singing "Older women make...")

Kimberly said...

and thankful for this special DVD gift you're receiving..encouraging!

Tara said...

Well, you really did it this time, Kayla. I actually cried and laughed while reading this blog! First of all, that pic is SOOO sweet. And then I just couldn't help but think of all the heartache you experienced before God brought Ethan into your home. I remember all of us gathering around you and Harold during our first Friends Vacation and praying for you, knowing how much you wanted a baby. I remember the first time I saw Ethan (at Juwa's wedding). And now you have four BEAUTIFUL boys. It just makes me weepy!
As for those little Ethan-quips: keep 'em coming! SO funny! I DO wish we lived closer. Our kids would have so much fun.
Well, I will now bring this SAPPY blog-like comment to a close. CONGRATULATIONS, ETHAN DEAN!

A Moment in the Life of a Mother said...

Kayla, Ethan looks so cute in green. I was not able to go to graduation and hate to have missed his song as well as some of my other Jr. Church kids. Maybe next year. My blog is amomentinthelifeofamother.blogspot.com and the one on Yahoo is http://360.yahoo.com/galew Maybe you can see it that way. Talk to you soon. Katie says "hello" to Dylan. :):)

Kim M. said...

Awweee... how cute! And isn't it great that the outfits were green! I love his little remarks too. Kids say the cutest things.
That is so neat about the DVD player too!
I'm enjoying your posts!

Misty said...

Ethan's comments definitely had me laughing!! The picture is very cute!

Karissa thinks her mommy is about 6, that would be pretty old in her eyes!

Julia said...

Kayla;

So enjoyed this post and the photos. What a heart breaker he is! Tell him not to feel bad, I used to get sick like that before I sang too, except I was in my 20's.

I am with you and Dr. D on waiting. Some kids (probably, most boys if you ask a kindergarten teacher) are just not ready to sit for several hours at 5 years old.

You Go Girl with those hair cuts!!

Kelly S said...

I enjoyed this post. I love the wry look he is giving you. He is adorable!

I love it when God provides - even things that we sometimes think he wouldn't care about. I believe he does care about every detail of our lives. It's like he's giving us a little hug.

I'm so glad that Ethan was able to overcome his fear! I'll have to watch the program on archive.

Making Memories 1999 said...

Congrats Ethan!!!! I LOVE the interview answers!! Those are definately memory book entries, eh?!!! Love it, love it!!

It was VERY good to see you while we were in FL, even if it was for a short time!! I truly wish we could have gone to that tea house you mentioned!! I would have LOVED it!! Maybe next time! I trust your summer goes smoothly. May God bless you all as you travel the miles. Take care!!

Unknown said...

Kayla,

Hi this is Jodi Weingard (Randel) i stayed at your house when I was going on a TLC to the Philipines. Your boys are so cute! Our blog is thefivejs.blogspot.com I enjoy looking at all the blogs and finding more people that I know!
Jodi Randel

The Dickinsons said...

Kayla, Congrats to Ethan on graduating and singing in front of everyone! Bless his heart, sorry he got sick from being so nervous, but glad he sang anyway...for that's a step in him having even more confidence in life! He looked cute.

I loved that his favorite subject in school was LUNCH! ;)

Praise the Lord for His answer to prayer for y'all a DVD player for this summer! How neat!

God is awesome. Have a wonderful weekend, wish we could see a picture of Harold's hair that you cut. =) Phillip would NEVER let me cut his hair.

Love ya, Heather =)

Unknown said...

Kayla,
This is Jodi again! I understand that your husband is going to be at our church on July 18th . Do you ever travel with him?
Jodi Randel