Friday, May 16, 2008

Still Alive?

Yes, I am still alive despite the fact that my last post had people writing epitaphs for my tombstone. (They were both older than me) I haven't succumbed to the evils of Facebook either, although I have had fun reconnecting with people I haven't heard from in years. My absence is due to the fact that my life is incredibly busy these days.

I started a new case a month ago that was supposed to only last for two nights. Well a month later it has ended. I ended up working almost everyday. I will say that it was the most fun case I have ever worked. The people were from GA so their Southern Hospitality extended to even the hired help. I got fed things such as fish and grits, and was called "kiddo" on a daily basis. You can only imagine what this did for my self esteem.


Then last week when I thought things were getting back to normal Dylan started coughing again for the fifth time this season. It kept getting tighter and tighter until on Monday after being up most of the night before I took him to the doctor. He was diagnosed with severe bronchitis that was most likely due to Asthma. Now after a week of steroids, antibiotics, and nebulizer treatments he is doing fine. Here you can see just how fine he is.




So with working, keeping up with four little boys, trying to keep my house somewhat presentable, along with doing my best to be a good daughter to my aging parents and a devoted wife to my hard working husband, time at the computer came to a screeching halt. I should probably be doing something more productive right now. Oh well, it feels good to sit for awhile.


This is for those of you who long for the ocean breezes of South Florida. It will also help you understand why I am not a beach bum. A few weeks ago someone told Harold that this had washed up on the beach, so of course we had to load the boys up in the van and go see it.



Yes, it is a 12ft Hammerhead. Someone had already broken the teeth out, so the boys didn't get that thrill. Makes you feel comfy, huh?



I had a whole Mother's Day post planned in my head, but never had time to get my thoughts together. When I have had time to clear my head I plan to be a little controversial and write a tribute to "working Moms". Until then you'll have to be satisfied with a picture of me and my crew on that special day. As usual Landon was having a moment of crisis and Dylan was concerned. Maybe one day we'll actually get a picture of everyone smiling.




As Alumni President Harold has to give a little induction speech every year at graduation. He just emailed me his speech for tonight to read over. He included the quote by Robert Louis Stevenson, "Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant". This is not only a good reminder for those who are heading out into their fields of service, but for those of us who are Mothers. It is very easy to climb into bed every night exhausted and feel like you've accomplished absolutely nothing, like the people in the next room are still heathens. You'll sleep a lot better if you determine to plant as many seeds as possible during the day and count them before drifting off. It will make waking up the next morning a little easier too, as you look forward to the day when the harvest is ready.
I'll leave you with a few pictures of what life is like around our house. Enjoy!

I bought the boys butterfly nets with visions of little children running through fields of wild flowers with butterflies fluttering in the cool breeze. I should have know better.



These are my handsome and highly intelligent sons. They make me so proud, sob, sob. Okay, they were dressed up for Mix-Up Day. Don't ask about the facial expressions, they just thought they looked cool.



The goal here was to get a sweet picture of Harold reading to Dylan, but as soon as he saw the camera he started saying "sheese".



This is Landon in the helmet that he and his Pawpaw bought at the Thrift Store. He insists that it is NOT too big for him.



Ethan is smelling the coffee he just ground on his field trip yesterday. From the look on his face we may have another addict.

12 comments:

Kimberly said...

Glad you're still breathing and have not lost your way in the mire of Facebook!:)

Enjoyed it all...i would say you're fulfilling each role remarkably well, imo. Looking forward to your "working women" post...whenever. Glad you were able to share your presence with the Ga folks....THEY were the lucky ones!

CharleneOwensMomof2 said...

Oh my word Kayla!! That shark just gave me the chills!! What beach was that?

Tara said...

Glad that you're back, Kayla. I was really missing you! :) Was getting ready to email and say "whasup?"!

But I do need to give you a buzz anyway. So much to catch up on! Enjoyed the pictures very much.

I'm sorry that Dylan is having ashtma issues....is this the first time?

I'll talk to ya soon. Love you...

Jamie said...

I'm so glad you are back!!

I actually haven't heard from our about Lida in a very long time. It's weird....people can be such a part of your life, and then you lose touch....kind of sad!

Enjoyed the pictures, except for the shark....so scary!

Have a great day!

lauralavon said...

That was such a refreshing newsy update! So glad you had time to catch us up and share pics and all. I love the new header picture as well.
You are so right...count the seeds planted. Blessings, my friend!

Liz said...

I can only assume you are referring to the comment I left on Julia's facebook!! HA!! Hope you know I was joking....I use to hate facebook but now that I have gotten more use to it I too have enjoyed reconnecting with people I haven't seen in years. I have no room to talk about not doing new posts because i haven't either. I have on planned for mothers day and other stuff too...just need to get the energy to do it!!!

Anonymous said...

Been missing you and am so glad for the update. You consistently make me smile. BTW, I think the boys do look pretty cool. Their expressions make the outfits!

A Moment in the Life of a Mother said...

I've been wondering where you've been. I know the feeling. Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed. Love the picture of Landon with the bull frog. He is all boy!!
And imagine you thinking of fields of flowers and butterflys. That should have been interesting...lol. Great post.

Twila G. said...

Enjoyed this post greatly. You always make me smile. Glad you're back!

Anonymous said...

This is Martha Sams mother. I enjoy reading your post. We were at graduation and talked to your mother. She is such a precious lady. The quote that Harold gave in his speech is the one thing I will keep from graduation. It was so encouraging and I came home to concentrate on sowing seeds instead of trying to produce fruit. You have a nice looking family.

Kelly S said...

Good to hear from you again!

I'm scared of facebook! It requires you to give your email password and then it sends messages to everyone in your email without you knowing. I'm all the time getting email from people and they have no idea. One came from a guy from my parents church that said he wants to find out how alike we are. He was not happy about that! Did you have to give it your email password?

Loved seeing your pics and reading your tidbits!

Can't wait to read your post on working women! I'm quitting my job. Friday is my last day and I am SO SO excited!!

loree2000 said...

It's fun to see a fresh post.
I know how difficult it is to post regularly without working outside the home. So, I understand why you haven't in a while.
Take Care~Lori R.