Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Tidbits


As I write I am watching six little boys swim. This is because eight years ago today I gave birth to my first son, thus starting a chain of events that led up to my continually being surrounded by males. You might think that this would be disappointing to someone who exudes femininity such as I do. Think again, all these male are part of the reason that I feel so feminine. As women our ability to bear children plays such a vital role in our identity. Before Ethan started this chain of little boys in my life, I had lost hope of ever experiencing the child bearing process. Most of you probably know that Harold and I lost three babies before I was able to carry out a full term pregnancy. Every year as his birthday draws near I start reflecting on how God has blessed us so immeasurably. He not only carried us through a time of deep grief, but he also touched me physically and made the life we now enjoy possible. At the woman's conference I attended a few months ago Shanon Wexelberg talked about her struggle with infertility and sang the song that God gave in her time of struggle. "In the Waiting" describes my feelings so perfectly now as I look back. It says "You were in the waiting, in that moment of my life when my hope and faith collide. When my hearts anticipating just how and when you'll move, that's when you prove that you were in the waiting too". I'm so glad that God has used difficult circumstances to mold me into a more grateful person and hopefully a better mother that I would have been before. So as we celebrate today we are not just happy about another year on Ethan's calendar but we are celebrating God's blessings and the gracious gifts that he has bestowed on us.
Last weekend I was privileged to have my best friend come for a visit. She's one of the people in my life who have seen me in diapers, skinny, fat, with strange hairdos, etc, etc, etc, and still loves me. We had a wonderful visit which included late night conversations and coffee. The boys are greatly missing her. She has been a wonderful aunt to them since they don't have one on my side of the family. I'm already having to answer the question "When is Aunt Kimmie coming back?" about fifty times a day. We made wonderful memories, but unfortunately my camera was set on video and I didn't know it. I now have some of the shortest, strangest video clips ever made. Go to her blog to see normal pictures.

Despite the fact that the color is a little off in this picture our door is now a beautiful cranberry color. Thanks so much for all the input that was given on this decision. I didn't realize how many decorators are reading my blog. I should have given you the opportunity to express yourself before my house was done, who knows what splendour I could now be experiencing.
Normally I wouldn't be so open with the information that I am now a year older. On April 2ND I celebrated my 34Th birthday. Thanks to MaryEllen for the picture, it is the most recent one taken. As you can see I am aging, four boys will do that to you, but I didn't realize the effect the noise was having on me until last week. Talitha and I were doing hearing and eye testing for the school. We were having a bit of trouble figuring out the audiology equipment, so she decided to test me to see if it was working. After putting on the headphones and going through the test I proclaimed "It's not working on the right side". "Are you sure?" she asked me. "I didn't hear anything on that side" I replied. So after testing me again and then testing herself she had to bear the sad news to me that I may have some hearing loss on the right side. I tell you all of this for a good reason. Many of you see me on a regular basis and I have a request. If you see me at church or in town and I am being unusually loud, please come to my left side and discreetly yet clearly tell me to tone it down some.

Well I should bring this telling of information to an end. The boys are now home on spring break, so I am looking forward to a week of nonstop swimming and eating. Speaking of eating I will leave you with a little video that may make you hungry for Mexican food tonight. Sorry it's sideways, but it does make it more interesting.


14 comments:

Kimberly said...

Yay...I'm the 1st comment:) (You forgot to mention I am your very weird, competitive friend:) Thanks for your wonderful hospitality in the gorgeous guest suite!

This is a beautiful post...so grateful with you for the blessings of your boys after such difficult losses. And,for me, Ethan's birth always represents hope at a time of much disappointment. He brought alot of joy at that time and still does.

Sorry about your hearing...that's crazy! And yes you do "exude" femininity...you always have in the best ways possible! Love to All! (I'll be back.....)
(I couldn't see the video...might just be my computer)

Anonymous said...

The video of the boys went well with the pintos and cheese I was eating at the time. Loved it!

Your post brought back lots of memories and lots of joy with you in the way God has blessed your life. You're right. Waiting and pain make us better.

A huge happy birthday to Ethan, and a belated one to you as well. *begins to rend her garments that she missed it*

Kimberly said...

I see it...too cute!:)

Liz said...

Love the door, love the picture of you and absolutely loved and enjoyed the video with Katy!! Happy birthday! Sorry..I am horrible anymore for remembering them. Love you and tell Ethan Deany Marteeny Happy birthday from us and Katy Joy!!

Julia said...

Kayla, how lovely you and Kimber look. I said, KAYLA, HOW LOVELY YOU AND KIMBER LOOK. NO, NO, NOT LIMBER SHOOK, I SAID KIMBER LOOK. (you gotta get a miracle ear.)

What a handsome young man Ethan is, and yes what a blessing after a time of trial. Even if you are an island of estrogen in a sea of testosterone, it is obvious you are happy.

I'm love, love, loving the song. In fact, I'm going to LaCabana's for lunch today so I'm really ready to go now. :)

Twila G. said...

Love your cranberry door! Couldn't seem to get the video to work on my computer. Happy Belated Birthday!

A Moment in the Life of a Mother said...

Love your door. Can I say I'm "envious" of the pool??? Wasn't it just wonderful of the Lord to give you not only the house but to throw in a little extra like the pool?? He does do things well!! Enjoy!!

Kim M. said...

My boys watched the video and really enjoyed it! Cute and on key too!
Your door looks great.

I can relate to the "exuding femininity" comment. Little boys just seem to bring that out in us. Today my little guys picked flowers for me and kissed me on the cheek. It makes my feminine heart swell!

As for your miscarriages, I cannot imagine the grief you must have endured since I never experienced one (that I know of). Your little boys are precious! And I imagine Heaven seems even sweeter knowing that you have little ones waiting for you up there.
Thanks for your updates... I enjoy them! By the way... you look great!

Kim M. said...

P.S. I need a hearing aid too so don't feel badly! People think I am an airhead but they don't realize I just couldn't hear them. :-)

Mary Ellen said...

Hey, that red door looks great. I'll have to do a drive by to see it in all of it's true beauty.

I love that one sentence from Julia!!!! I don't know if it was original with her or not, but it's the first time I've heard it and I love it. Personally I think that should be on your tombstone in a hundred years...."She was an island of estrogen in a sea of testosterone." I betchya no one else will have it!

loree2000 said...

The door looks nice.... And I loved the remodel before and after pics. House decorating can be quite rewarding! :) Happy late B-day!

sankey family said...

I know what you mean about being surrounded by males...I'm living in the world, too! I love my boys!

Kelly S said...

Happy birthday! (very belated, I know!) Sorry you're getting soooo old. The dollar store sells canes if you need one:)

Love the door. Very good choice. Missed seeing you at IHC.

Jamie said...

Where are you? Everything okay? :)