Thursday, May 22, 2008

Our State of the Union

On May 25, 1996 Harold and I "tied the knot". Yes, for those of you who are doing the math, we will have been married for twelve years on Sunday. It never ceases to amaze me, that time can pass so quickly without us even realizing it. Harold, always says, "Times fun when you're having flies". Well we haven't exactly had flies, but we have been busy. I've posted a little pictorial journey of the past twelve years. It is a little view of how our family has grown. No, not weight, kids.
Here we are in 1993, our senior year of high school.


In 1997, Harold graduated from HS Bible College and we moved to TN. Harold attendend Moody Aviation. I worked as a CNA in a local nursing home and went to nursing school


















In 2000, after having three miscarriages, God blessed us with our first son, Ethan.



















Then just fourteen months later along came Collin.


In 2002 we moved back to Fl and began our ministry with Missionary Flights International. A year after that Landon, boy #3, was born.



Last, but certainly not least, came our fourth and final son, Dylan.


I've posted the video to the song "Holding Hands" by Steve Green. The longer we are married I find that the romance isn't so much in the warm, gushy feelings as it is in the commitment. I still remember the first time Harold held my hand. It took him awhile to get up the nerve to finally reach over and take mine. Oh boy, I don't think my heart could have pounded any harder. Now it just come natural. If we are walking along our hands just naturally come together without giving it any thought. I still love the romance of it, but I love the trust and commitment even more. Several years ago we were having an intense disagreement about something. I was very righteously indignant with my dear husband. He said to me, "Kayla we are going to talk about this holding hands". Since then we've made this our policy for any major discussions. So I can truthfully tell you today that the state of our union is strong, and we're still "holding hands".


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdX15209s6A

14 comments:

Tara said...

Aw, Kayla.....you got the tears streaming with that video! So glad you posted that; I hadn't seen it before.

I'm a proud witness to your vows and your life with my old friend Harold. I love you both. Happy Anniversary.

Anita Marie said...

Happy Anniversary. The first picture seems like it was from just yesterday. May God bless you with many more years of happiness.

Kimberly said...

Happy Anniversary!!

(sorry about the Barbies:)!!)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Twelve years...doesn't seem possible that I stood behind a tree and sang the Lord's Prayer that long ago. :) You all are an incredible blessing. May Jesus keep your union strong!

The Canfield Family said...

Wow! I didn't realize how much you guys had aged over the years! Where does that put me?
Doug

Kelly S said...

Congratulations! 12 years?!! You and Harold are one of the sweetest and well-matched couples I know. I remember wanting to be at your wedding so bad and David and I actually bought tickets to fly with some cheap airline (Value-something) and just a couple days before we were to fly, there was a crash and the entire airline was closed down and we lost our tickets and money and all! What a disappointment! I would love to see your wedding pictures sometime.

Florida Bozone Bunch said...

Happy Anniversary!! What a sweet journey with the man God gave you. Isn't is exciting to dream of what else God has in store for your lives. I like the idea of holding hands while you are having an argument. I am so surprised to find out that you have disagreements. I can't imagine!! (Ha-ha)

loree2000 said...

Those are sweet memories, thanks for sharing!

We will be celebrating 14 years this year! Where does time go?

Liz said...

Congratulations!! I just have gotten around to reading this post and the last one on dolls from your past. The next time I am invited over to play with your dolls I am glad to tell you that I will make a small "laproscopic" incision (no staples) being that medical technology has come such a long way since we were kids! Ha! As for Kimberly and her wild dancing Barbies...well...she will have to explain that herself! I always knew she had those dancing tendencies! Ha! I enjoyed that post very much as I had kind of forgotten some of the things that I did to terrorize your dolls. I do remember pouring lemonade in the top of one of their heads to make them "potty". Love ya!!

Kim M. said...

Happy Anniversary! I loved that Steve Green song too.
Thanks for sharing those pictures!

Tara said...

Just thought you'd like to know....Derek and I commemorated your anniversary this evening with a special rendition of "Keeper of the Stars"! I was going through some music from a wedding I played for a couple of weeks ago when I came across that song! So of course, we had to enjoy that amusing memory. We enjoyed a good laugh when we came to the second verse....where everything went terribly and sadly awry! Twelve years later, but I doubt Brent or Derek will ever live that one down!

lauralavon said...

That was a fun post! It was great getting to see all the pictures!
Happy Anniversary!

CharleneOwensMomof2 said...

Happy Anniversary to you both, a couple days late. Thought that was a neat idea about holding hands during an argument/disagreement.
You and Harold make a great couple!

Making Memories 1999 said...

Tears in the eyes here, too! How very precious!! And what a good idea . . . to hold hands during disagreements!! Thanks for posting this! And happy belated anniversary!!