Monday, October 29, 2007

Intelligent Design

I recently saw an advertisement for a boat manufacturing company. Their logo
was "Intelligently designed for absolute peace of mind". It seemed a little strange to use that phrase in reference to boats instead of the universe or the human body. I am, of course, a firm believer in Intelligent Design but not just for all the scientific arguments that I don't completely understand. For me it comes down to five "designs" that have been placed in my care. We have been made in the image of our "designer", therefore endowed with the same feelings that he feels. We can't really say that about boat, now can we. My beliefs are confirmed by the love I feel when my husband kisses me as soon as he walks in the door. Feelings that are so deep that they had to originate from the one who showed the "greatest love of all". It's the twinkle in Ethan's eye just before he says "got ya" or the way Collin uses his whole body to tell a story. It's the way Landon likes to snuggle so close that I can feel his breath on my face, or the way Dylan lifts his foot up for me to kiss it while he is nursing. If my heart can feel so deeply for these little "images" of me that I had so little to do with the designing of, how much more does our Grand Designer feel for those that he personally designed. I guess that's where the "absolute peace of mind" comes in. Just like I do my best to show my love and keep those placed in my care from harm, so my designer does for me. I love the quote from "Loves Comes Softly" where Clark is describing God's love for Missy. He uses the illustration of walking with his daughter. He said "if she trips on a rock and scrapes her knee, I didn't cause it to happen, but I'll be there to wipe it off and dry her tears". Probably not a perfect quote, but you get the idea. For more on peace go check out Tara's blog.

Here are a few concerns about things that are not so "intelligent".

Many people have commented that we now have a perfect quartet. I'll admit that I have thought how nice it would be if my boys were able to sing together. Lately though some things have happened that have made me second guess that dream. A Statler Brother Christmas tape made its into my van and now the boys want to listen to it all the time. I didn't think to much about it until the other night. They were all singing "Lord We Lift Your Name on High" while holding their noses. I think I'll exchange that tape for GVB or something else a little less nasal.

The other day at the playground I looked up to see Ethan laying flat on the ground. I was of course concerned so I asked him what was wrong, to which he replied "I'm just going to lay here really still and when the vultures come to eat me I'll jump up and scare them. If anyone sees our house being circled please don't be concerned, we are just playing tricks on some pesky creatures.

9 comments:

Kimberly said...

Beautiful thoughts...if we really grasped the Father's love for us, I think we'd have less "issues". I also really like that Love Comes Softly quote...surprisingly, I've thought it's one of the best ones on providence and God's role in the struggles of life...funny place for that to come from! Hysterical thought of your boys singing like the S.'s...help us all!!

Liz said...

Great post....really enjoyed it as usual! Love ya!

Jamie said...

What a great post, Kayla...it brought tears to my eyes. You are such a special person, and I love your positive spin on life...even with your 4 very lively boys! :) And I should know, being a former neighbor! (And by the way, I was entertained many a time by their "playtime!") I enjoy your blog so much....miss you guys.

Tara said...

Really beautiful post, Kayla. I also agree with Kimberly about the J. Oke quote: really brings it all into perspective, especially from a Mom's viewpoint. My mind has been in permanently 'awestruck' state since visiting the planetarium at the Creation Museum last Saturday. The awesomeness of God's creation and design, and how puny and insignificant our planet can seem in the scheme of things. But He is our Creator, and he LOVES us! I look forward to blogging more about that visit and weekend when I have more time. Thanks for your thoughts!
(would have LOVED to hear those cutie pies singing with their noses plugged!)

Twila G. said...

What an insightful, beautiful, funny post! I love hearing about your boys. I'm always excited when I see you have a new post.

Julia said...

Loved all the "deep" stuff in your post, but I gotta say, Ethan's attempt at being Vulture Bait, wins the day. TOO FUNNY!

Eileen said...

Beautifully put Kayla. I have been there with my girls when they were growing up and wanting to sing. Well, it didn't last. Must have been not to be. By the way I have been wanting to tell you, but haven't been able too until now. Ruth youngest sister arrived down there today. The reason I haven't been able to tell you on here was because it was suppose to be a surprise for Ruth. Read my yahoo 360 to get about it. Thanks for sharing. Love Ya!

lauralavon said...

What a beautiful quote, Kayla. That's one I want to memorize. It's so simple but profound, and it rings true!
As usual, I was delighted to read your serious thoughts, but then to be refreshed with your sense of humor...it was a bright spot in my day. Needless to say, your little guys are picking up the great sense of humor! You need to have a book of your kids quotes written up! You could sell it.

Kim M. said...

I loved reading this post. I can so relate. Cute comments about vultures... love it! I also love the quote from Love Comes Softly... I remember the first time I saw/heard that... I was so touched (and yes, surprised). Notice I said "the first time I saw it". I am still a romantic at heart.