Saturday, May 19, 2007

The Missionary Pilot's Wife


There always seems to be a little bit of confusion about what Harold does. People frequently ask us what he does when he is not flying. So I thought that I would give everyone a view of my perspective of his occupation.
For those of you who don't know , Harold is a missionary pilot with Missionary Flights International (MFI). They fly mostly to Haiti, but also to other locations in the Caribbean. Why all this special attention to Haiti you may ask. Haiti is actually considered a fourth world country. A third world country is a developing country, while a fourth world country is stagnant, in some cases even regressing. MFI is the life line to the missionaries in this very difficult country. I have done some overseas traveling, and Haiti by far is the worst for culture shock that I have been in. Harold usually flies into Haiti once a week. He leaves at about 5:00 am on those days, and is back home by about 9:00pm. Occasionally he has overnight stays which he enjoys because it allows him to experience first hand what a difference MFI is making in the lives of the missions they serve.
His degree is actually Pilot/Mechanic, which is what he initially did when he first started with MFI. About three years ago they asked him to become the Executive Assistant. At first he was a little reluctant to give up aircraft maintenance since that is what he taught at Moody, but he has really found his niche in the office.
First he handles all the correspondence with the missionaries. He answers hundreds of emails a week, since they serve over 200 hundred organizations. It amazes me that he can keep all the names ,dates, packages , and special orders straight.
Next he deals with US customs. Since 911 it has become more and more intense. They have to have passenger and cargo lists well in advance, and they don't like surprises.
He also handles many of the MFI's humanitarian efforts. They work closely with Samaritans Purse in any case of natural disaster. He just sent 7000 sewing machines to 30 different countries to be used in micro business and community development endeavors. They store water purification kits and tarps to be shipped out as soon as a hurricane has passed over. He is now working with an organization called Feed My Hungry Children, getting prepackaged rice and soy packets to malnourished children. Sometimes we are so anxious to spread the gospel that we forget about the "cup of cold water". It is a lot easier to listen and understand if you are not fighting off hunger pains. Harold's goal is to give the missions every commodity they need to help plant the seed.
I could elaborate on each of these duties, but it would take too much time. Suffice it to say that I am extremely proud of him. He has had other guys tell him that they would give anything to be where he is today. These are people who seem to have it made materially, but just don't find any fulfillment. I am so glad that he followed his heart and made this ministry our life. With so much competing for our kids attention today, ministry has to be exciting to hold an attraction to our kids. Harold is living it out right in front of them that this is a "great adventure".
I am "the Missionary Pilot's Wife".

16 comments:

Kimberly said...

I'm not confused...i'm amazed! Truly, kudos to a great man...from his truly admiring pseudo-sister-in-law:)(can you tell I want more free stuff) seriously, you know I'm all about the cup of cold water idea..and so thankful that ya'll are making this happen. Love to all!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great tribute to your husband. I'm so proud of you guys and proud to be your friend. Thanks for being a great team and reaching so many people together. I have no doubt that Harold has the breadth and depth of ministry that he has, at least in part, because of his "Missionary Pilot's Wife". Many blessings to you both!

Betty said...

Great tribute to his ministry. I wasn't sure what all he did, but seems like he does alot. I know his work is vital to all the missionaries. So glad we know someone personally who is helping the missionaries in Haiti!

lauralavon said...

I feel honored that you took the time to visit my "space". Thanks! I feel very blessed to get to join the cyber conversation with Julia's friends as my primary blog-buddies. I am enjoying all that I've read, getting to know a little about each of you, learning from you, joining in once in a while. I hadn't actually gotten to yours yet, but I can see I will enjoy it now that I've begun.

lauralavon said...

Sorry, I have a correction, Kayla. I didn't think I had been to your blog, but when I scrolled down, I had a deja vu moment. I'm getting old, a little alzheimers setting in, too many blogs, too much information...I will pay closer attention now! I hope you don't mind my putting you as a favorite link; that way I'll keep better track of blogging friends. : )

The Dickinsons said...

Hey all you Hobe Sounders...I surely hope you know I'm JUST TEASING! For I had it my plans to attend Hobe S. too, but then when it came time to go to College my parents moved to S. Dakota. Their home was 21 hours from GBS...and 53 from Hobe, I chose GBS for it was much closer to home. And since I was interested in Music, I felt God calling me to GBS...AND I'M SOOO GLAD TO HAVE GONE THERE, FOR THERE IS WHERE I GOT MY WONDERFUL MAN! =) I do think Hobe is a nice school too!

Love, Heather =)

The Dickinsons said...

Kayla, thanks for sharing all about what Harold does, I enjoyed reading it! I think that you are the GOOD lady behind the good man...I think that you make a GREAT Miss. pilot's wife...and you are helping him do his ministry...and doing a great job raising y'all's boys! Keep encouraged in Jesus, I think that you are doing a great job being all that Jesus and Harold need and want you to be. =)

Love ya, Heather =)

Kelly S said...

Wow, you must be so proud of your hubby. And it is great that he is doing something he loves - missions where his heart has always been.

After reading your post, my mind started wandering back to the days when we were all at HSBC, going on TLC trips, etc. It seemed so many of us had hearts for missions, but so few of us ended up in that field of ministry.

I think the TLC trip was a real eye opener for me and put that longing and motivation in my heart to want to help, but I guess that didn't necessarily make it God's will for my life. I came back from those countries determined that I had to go back to help those people. I often think of it and feel somewhat guilty for not following through with it, but on the other hand - that desire/longing is no longer there. Can anyone else relate to this? - I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Kelly S said...

By the way, it was nice to see Emily's post. Emily, if you decide to go public, let us know!

Julia said...

Kayla;
Good to hear an update on your ministry. I thought I was in touch, but I realize now that I wasn't aware of all Harold does.

Kelly;
Yes, I understand what you are saying. I don't feel guilty for it though. I think when we attended HSBC there was such a focus on Missions that we all felt the heartbeat of it. This was a good thing, but as young people we passionatly made statements that didn't neccessarily reflect reality or what seemed to be God's Will. (I'm hessitant to claim I know God's will, since I'm just me and well, He's God.) The point is we all did walk away with a heart for missions and any missionary will tell you, they couldn't do what they are doing without those of us at home helping to keep them where they are. (That's my shameless plug to support Harold and Kayla on a monthly basis, in case anyone was wondering. :))

Emily;
I'd love to see you join our little blog world. You could avoid using your last name or where you live if you want to keep the weirdos away.

Kim M. said...

Kayla, I am so amazed by Harold's ministry. He will never know how many lives he has touched until he -and you for supporting him- gets to Heaven!!! I still feel a big heart for missions too so I know what Kelly and Julia are saying. There are times I wonder if there is something more out there for us to do ...although I feel we are where God wants us for now.
So glad your blog will let me post since I've had trouble posting on other's blogs. Thanks for your kind comments on my blog :-) I feel the same way as Emily about the all boys.. can certainly understand! Emily, you really need to open up that blog and let us see those growing boys!

kayla said...

Emily; Thanks for leaving a comment. I deleted it to protect you from any strange lurkers getting your email. Please open your blog. This reconnecting thing is really fun.

Julia; Thanks for the plug, although support was not my intention, I'll credit you if any comes in.

Kelly; I guess since missions is our thing I still feel a strong pull to be overseas. It always strikes me as ironic that Heather the music major ends up in Columbia and I end up back in Fl.
After Harold finished at Moody we considered a couple of different organizations, but felt a strong pull toward MFI. I really questioned it then, not knowing that my sister would pass away so soon and my parents would need me. I have no question that this is where we are supposed to be now. How many other places could we be involved in missionary aviation and care for our parents at the same time?
This time of year is always a little difficult for me. Boot Camp starts in a couple of weeks, so TLC is the "Thing" here right now. Comissioning service is always a little bittersweet. The grass of all the young and carefree always seems a little greener than mine. Harold and I have led a couple of teams. Some of you should consider doing it one year. It is a great experience to have with your spouse and kids.

Kimberly said...

Here are my very shallow thoughts: I wish I would have gone on MORE TLC's trips simply because now as a very poor adult I realize what a great deal they were:)!!
(and obviuosly such an awesome way to expand our view the world, ministry, and our own small part in it...)

And I say a HUGE ditto to Julia's comments!!! Agree wholeheartedly!!

Misty said...

Kayla,

That is a very sweet tribute to your husband. I hope it made him proud!! My husband always tells me behind every successful man is a wonderful, supportive, and encouraging wife.

I know it isn't always easy with him being gone so much, you working, and everything with your parents but keep encouraged....and if all else fails, EAT CHOCOLATE!! better yet, call me and we can both eat it together!

Have a great week!

Marty said...

I love hearing about Harold ministry! Wow...he is impacting soo many people for Christ! Thank you for being such a great support to him! He could not be successful in his job without you at home!

Loved the new pics of the boys!

I agree that Emily needs to "open" up her blog!

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!