Sunday, October 12, 2008

My Man and His Van

Some women like a man who drives a black Lexus,
Or a red pick-up truck like a cowboy from Texas

My man drives a van of a strange greenish blue,
And when he drives up I say "Woo Hoo"


His old van broke down on I-95,
Where he called me to say "It's no longer alive"



My Dad picked him up in a camouflage hat,
A tow truck brought the van to our yard where it sat,




We call a mechanic who said "There's no hope",
With only one van you'll just have to cope,

So we sold the old van to be used for parts,
An ending that nearly broke our poor hearts,

With only on van we coped for a week,
Then, in desperation, for another we started to seek,

We called to our Father who answered our prayer,
With a van that's a color that makes people stare,

This van isn't new, it was a donation,
To a really great missions organization,

Harold called me to say "It's a really good price",
"Although the color made me think twice".

When I asked just what the color might be,
I thought for sure that he said "Navy",

But when he drove up and I saw the strange hue,
I said "Who are you, Mr. Magoo?",

This van is a color, but we don't know the name,
For sure no one else has one quite the same,

It has all the things that a van really needs,
Beneath it there are growing no weeds,

The wipers they work and the horn it does blow,
And "There ain't nothin' wrong with the radio",

So each day to work in this van he drives,
Cause it's not for material things that he strives,

To earthly standards he cares not to measure,
Up in heaven is where he's storing his treasure,

So if he invites me to go for a ride,
I'll sit by his side all swelled up with pride,

This man holds my heart in the palm of his hand,
Right beside him is where I'll always stand,

So don't judge a man by the make of his car,
I'm here to tell you that won't get you far,


It's not the van that makes look good the man
But boy does my man make look good his van!

PS This is what happens when I forget to bring a book to read during downtime at work and I can't handle another minute of CNN.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

You are so talented! What a funny poem! You made me laugh. I like your van. And you can't beat the price!

Misty said...

I was thinking the same thing as Joy! You are quite talented! :-) I don't think it looks bad! I am sure a Lexus probably drives really nice but really we prefer to have food on the table and not live on the streets! LOL

Kim M. said...

I love your poem Kayla!!!!

However, I was expecting a weirder hue than whatever color that is. I was thinking a puke-y orange or something, but that color isn't that bad. LOL

kayla said...

The color looks better "by dawn's early light", I'll have to take a picture when the sun is high.
Actually it really isn't that bad, I just like to tease my poor husband.

CharleneOwensMomof2 said...

Kayla you are such a hoot!! I love your sense of humor and your poem was great. Made me laugh for sure.

Mary Ellen said...

Here's hoping you forget your book more often - that was hysterical!!!

I was expecting maybe a hot pink, I'm guessing it's more like teal?

The best thing about used vehicles is you can LIVE in them. Some sand, some crumbs, a little melted chocolate or spilled milkshake and no one freaks out!

Glad the Lord provided you with what you needed and I'm really glad you turned it into a blog poem - that was great!

Becky said...

I gotta' say - Emily Dickinson has nothing on you!!! I've never sat and laughed when reading her poetry like I did reading yours. I think I was most amused by the first part of the poem about the demise of the other vehicle because of a "clunker" I had that had no air and all the buttons kept breaking off whenever I would turn the radio on, turn the vents on, etc. It left me sitting (or rather walking) along the road several times!

Allana Martian said...

Maybe it's my computer screen, but the color looks "normal" to me!

As for being bored at work, don't you join in on the bridge games? :-)Or maybe that's another job.

Love the poem!

A Moment in the Life of a Mother said...

Hidden talent that is now public?? How cute. Love the color of the van. I really was expecting somthing bright and flashy like metalic orange with neon green stripes or something as crazy. So happy to hear the Lord provided you with transportation. Those are always the ones that work out the best. Blessings.

Anonymous said...

Dittos to all the comments. Really loved the poem. Your priorities are definitely in the right place! Blessings!

Liz said...

Oh my...you a poet and didn't know it...or did ya!! Love love LOVE it...congrats on the van.

Kelly S said...

You are too funny Kayla! Love the poem. Please be kind to Mr. Magoo! The color of his van ain't so bad afterall. I needed that smile right now. I'm sitting doing school with Josh - we should have been done hours ago and my patience is wearing thin!

kayla said...

Color Update:
We took the van to have it registered yesterday. The man who came out to look at it and do the paperwork called it aqua. That highly amuses me. It is probably more of a teal, but it's so much fun to say that Harold drives an aqua van.

Julia said...

What I want to know is does he tear around campus in it with the window down and the Steve Green Spanish album blaring? That would make it the best!

Kimberly said...

Cute!

Making Memories 1999 said...

I loved your poem! Girl, leave that book home more often!!