Friday, August 22, 2008

"The Bible Is Our Standard"

Well, we finally got this school year started. The storm moved on out of here and let us resume our normally scheduled activities. As most of you know our kids attend our old Alma Mater, HS Christian Academy. Hence the title of this post, feel free to sing as you read. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, this is a line out of the school song. Here are the rest of the words so that you can sing too.
The Bible is our standard,
The flag our colors too,
The Lord we worship and obey in all we do,
Beside the mighty ocean our school stands strong and true,
Oh HS Christian Academy we honor you.
Ethan is a very proud second grader this year. Our main concern so far this year is his classmates. So far we have learned that one is kin to John Wilkes Booth and one is really rich because she owns a chocolate fondue fountain. Please keep Mrs. Blair in your prayers.
Collin hit first grade with a bang. I'm sure poor Mrs. Brown is still reeling. I should probably start warning the teachers before he walks in their door that he is nothing like Ethan. There is not a shy bone in his body and his body never stops moving. Maybe you should pray even harder for Mrs. Brown.
The Academy started a preschool program this year for the first time. Landon is very proud to numbered among the first class of attendees. He goes three days a week from 8am to 11:30am. He really feels like he is a big boy now. His teacher is Ms. McElwain, daughter of the principal.
The pictures of Landon were taken on the first day of school. I had planned on taking some of all the boys that day, but circumstances didn't allow it. We were doing great on time, until I pulled Dylan out of his highchair so we could leave. I won't go into detail, but in the words of Mark Lowry "It weren't no just wet one". We finally got on the road when three minutes later Landon says "where's my backpack", so around we turned. Therefore the pictures of all the boys together were taken this morning.
I'm sure that not everyone is interested in all these details, but this is part of raising four boys. At least that is what the top of my blog says it's all about.
Hopefully some of you will enjoy, and I'll have a record for years to come.
The school boys with a little bedhead in tow.

Trying to look cool.

My little preschooler.

With him's Mommy.


Now, my paranoia has kicked in. Just in case anyone was offended by my comments about being happy about school starting in the last two posts, I would like to redeem myself. I love my children dearly, and there is nothing so satisfying as spending time with them. Those comments were made partially in jest and partially in truth. I think that any mother of small children understands the need for a little "alone time" every now and then. Actually, just the thought of "empty nest syndrome" is about enough to send me into a state of premature depression. I better bring this to an end, I feel the need for a few hugs and kisses. (Calm down Harold, not you this time)

10 comments:

Kimberly said...

No need for paranoia...
The pics are adorable!! The "cool" shot esp. funny!
Ethan looks so tall!
And Landon so little, despite his short haircut:( Oh well...I guess it had to happen.
A least Dylan hasn't deserted you!

A Moment in the Life of a Mother said...

I'm glad the storm has passed too. I thought Tricia would drive me crazy she wanted to go to school so bad. She had her first park time today and she was having a blast when I drove by. Oh to be young again without a care in the world...lol. Your guys look great!!

Aimee said...

hahaha Now you are going to have to do a disclaimer post about Harold! :D (kidding)

Misty said...

You are a great mom! Just think your house may stay clean for a little longer now, at least until 2:30!

Landon looks so big :-) Actually they are all growing up so fast.....

Kelly S said...

hee hee. Great post. Don't fret...there are days that I wish we had a good school nearby.

A few weeks ago I decided to have some "alone" time and take a nice bubble bath (rather than a shower -which I haven't done in ages). Unfortunately I forgot to lock the bathroom door and before I knew it, Katie & Kara came in all excited about my nice bubbly "high" bath water and she and Kara snuck and took their clothes off and both jumped in the tub with me before I could say a word! Alone time is good now and then:)

Becky said...

I really enjoy reading your blog! Your boys look so cute all ready for school. Had to chuckle about the school song. Some things just never go away do they? :)

Anonymous said...

Loved the post. I barely restrained myself from bursting loudly into song. (It wouldn't have been appropriate at the time.) However, now I can't get it out of my head. "The Bible is our standard..." will be my constant companion for the next few hours I'm sure. Oh well, hope everything stays calm there "beside the mighty ocean". Love to all. (And the disclamers aren't needed.)

"Oh Hobe Sound Christian Academy we hoooooonnnnnoooooorrrr youuuuuuuu!"

Unknown said...

Yes, I always send my kids back to school with mixed emotions, too. The house is a bit quieter, but I miss them all the same. I like summer vacation. I don't think I'd have the patience for homeschooling, though. So, I count my blessing for a good Christian school and send them off.

CharleneOwensMomof2 said...

Kayla your posts either give me a giggle or an outright laugh. You are a hoot!
Hope that one of Ethan's classmates don't cause you worry (speaking of Bryce:). Just so you know, we aren't related to anyone famous (that I know of) and we aren't rich because we don't own a fondue machine. That is too funny.
Sonja's response also gave me a laugh cause I could just picture her belting out that tune and people walking by giving her strange looks.
Also no disclaimer needed is true. I LOVE my boys (all three of them) dearly, but those few hours of peace and quiet when I get so much done are just what the doctor ordered. Hope the school year is a good one for you.

lauralavon said...

No need for paranoia, my friend! I wouldn't have even considered homeschooling had I not had the undeniable conviction that it was what I MUST do. I would never advise anyone else to do it, unless they felt that same conviction. As far as Jules and blogworld go, I can tell you, she is at THE BUSIEST stage possible of homeeducating! In this regard, I am blessed now that I have older students who are at a very different stage. I have much more time (during most of the school year) for blogging! All that said, you always make me smile, laugh, and enjoy the day more after reading one of your posts.
Blessings!