Thursday, August 14, 2008

Before School Starts

School starts on Monday, what a glorious thought. I know some of you home school Moms just gasped in horror. I know, I know, I shouldn't admit that I feel this way, but if you had been around my house for the past week you would understand. I'll explain a little more about that later. Sometimes the longing for just a few moments of quiet is overwhelming. Anyone else ever locked themselves in the bathroom just to get a little alone time? Now I know that arguments among siblings are universal, but I'll bet none of you have ever had to break up one like the one I had to break up on the way to church on Sun. morning. It went something like this. "The Bible says that the first shall be last, so I'm getting out of the car first because you said that you wanted to be the first one to get out of the car, so that means that you have to get out last". I've also had to straighten out misconceptions like "the Japanese were the bad guys so they were called the Redcoats". So now do you have a better understanding of my reasons for needing a few experts (elementary teachers) to help me with all these Biblical and historical issues.

Actually we have had a fun filled summer. I thought that I better post a few pictures of some of the activities before school starts and all the new blog worthy events outshine the ones of the past.

If you remember, one of things we were so excited about with our house was being able to host some of the missionaries that Harold flies for. We have actually been privileged to have several of these in our home. One of these was Dr. McGowen, a true hero. He became a surgeon, but only practiced in the states for a very short time before he went to Africa for many years. He now runs a hospital in Haiti. I am personally very excited about the possibility of going down to Haiti this fall and doing some "hands on" medical volunteering. The boys fell in love with him, and he was so gracious to spend time with them.

Every summer my good friend Sonja makes the journey down from "The Hilltop" to sunny, south Fl. It has become an annual tradition to play at least one game of Balderdash while she is here. Mr. and Mrs. V always play with us since it is actually Mr. V whose answers make the tears roll down our cheeks and our sides ache for the week to come. So imagine our disappointment when he sent this strange little Irish man in his place. Actually he did play a pretty mean game despite the issues he was having with his rather dry red hair. I think that some conditioner would do him a world of good.

The annual Hobe Sound Bible College Alumni Department Golf Tournament kept my dear husband hopping for a few weeks. It went very well and they were able to meet their budget as well as give some to the school. Once again Harold's team made records, out of thirteen teams they came in ,drum roll please, 12Th Place. We are so proud of how his game is improving and hope that he is able to beat his high score next year. I have no pictures yet, but I promise to post some as soon as I can. (As you can see I finally got some)


The night before the tournament Harold and I went shopping for supplies. I was so excited to see that BJ's still had the raft the boys had been wanting for the pool. Imagining the hours of fun they would have on it, I bought it. The next morning after a great deal of trouble getting it blown up, the boys hopped on for "hours of fun". I went back in the house, but please note was watching out the door, when Collin tried to climb on, but instead slipped off the back and hit his head on the side of the pool. After much screaming (mostly by Ethan), I managed to get him out of the pool. Be glad that I didn't take a picture, because what greeted my eyes was not pleasant. I called Harold, who was on the last hole, to inform him that we were headed for the hospital. He ended up having six staples put in. Of course he had to embarrass me by telling the doctor, "and my Mom wasn't even watching me". Just a little side note for those of you who are concerned, this all happened the day after he went to the altar at VBS. I was beginning to worry that the annual altar trip wasn't going to happen, but on the last night they all three hit it hard. What a relief.


A few weekends ago our church had a little "Kids Retreat". About six families went out to the church land and camped for the weekend. It was a great time of four wheeler riding and gun shooting. If you have little boys then you know the excitement those two things can bring. I'll try not to bore you with too many pictures, most of mine seem to be of Daddies taking their offspring on fourwheeler rides. Oh well, some of you might enjoy seeing that. Thanks to Glen and Tamara for the fourwheelers and Don B. for the guns.


When we first got there the grass was in need of a mower, so Harold and Dylan jumped on and went to work. I'm thinking of investing in a riding mower myself.


We were very thankful to have a nurse along to bandage the many mosquito bites inflicted on us. I think that this patient just enjoyed the attention.




I hope they got this thing figured out.









Run for your life.





Merrill with his girls.



Anthony with Courtney and Zachary.




The lines at Disney had nothing on these lines.


Who said I only have four boys?


"Matchmaker, Matchmaker, make me a match, find me a find, catch me a catch" Since Harold and I have an agreement with Bart and Julie for our boys to marry their girls, I've started a collection of pictures to be shown at the receptions.






Yesterday Emily and I took our kids to Playmobile. My boys have been begging all summer to go, so I finally broke down and took them. For those of you who don't know what it is, it is a indoor play area divided into different stations of Playmobile characters. My boys love the section with the castles and knights. The thing that amused me was that without planning it we dressed not only our kids in the same colors, but dressed almost alike ourselves even down to the same flipflops. I'm sure we looked quite "cultish". I wonder what would have happened if we had started yelling at each other, "He's mine, I had him first". Sorry, I couldn't resist.


ATTENTION: Mood Change

This week has been one of the rockiest I have experienced for awhile. My Mom has been in the hospital since Mon. We had to take her to the Emergency Room with very disconcerting symptoms. You can email me if you want more details. She is doing much better now, but did give me a scare. Sometimes the pressure of trying to juggle all my roles (wife, Mommy, daughter, nurse, friend) becomes overwhelming. I can tend to have an "I am woman" attitude without even realizing it, but this week I have been reminded of just how weak I am in my own strength. I have been forced to to admit my weaknesses and rely on the strength of my Father. It's such a peaceful place to be. The song "He's the Peace of My Heart" has been running through my mind. I am so thankful for the "Peace" that I have.

BTW Number 2 in sepia won.


8 comments:

Liz said...

Whew....you shame me with your wonderful blogging abilities. All I have managed to do is put on pictures and a few words. You are awesome!!! I mean that in all seriousness. I have had you on my mind lately and have prayed for you but I will pray extra hard for you and your momma!(give her a hug and tell your dad it's turning cooler since he is so into our weather here!ha!) Love ya and as always I enjoyed this post immensely!! Yay for number 2 in Sepia!

Kimberly said...

Good to hear of all these happenings...and glad since you're glad about school starting!
Esp. love the pic w/the missions doctor!
Love to All!

Mary Ellen said...

Kayla-I think I have yet to read your blog where I don't laugh several times!

I can't say I'm eager for school to start (I HATE alarm clocks!) but I am SO with you on the bathroom part. On Monday I looked up from my "seat" to see three of my own children and a niece walk into the bathroom and then proceed to chat away with each other as if nothing else in the world was happening in that particular room. I barked "Could I PLEASE just have two minutes of privacy here?!?!" as they looked at me on their way out like I was a looney tune (this look from the same children who act like the unpardonable sin has take place if anyone walks in on them!) for thinking they shouldn't be in there. I long ago gave up even closing the door - what is the point!?!?

Kaitlyn wants to know why she needs to continue going to school, after all "I already know how to read and write!" I'll tell her if she needs any new material to ask the Martin boys.

The only thing I couldn't figure out was were you and Emily fighting over Jonathan or Harold?!?! (hee hee)

Enjoyed all the pics from the family campout - can't wait until the one in the Spring!

Hope your Mom gets much better real soon - we'll be praying.

Beth From Bynum said...

Kayla, I only have two girls but have still view the bathroom as a sanctuary!

I'm sorry to hear you mom is having some physical problems. You're blessed in being near her.

France was great! If you want to see a couple thousand photos of it, visit my flickr account:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bethshurbutt/
It was an amazing trip and we enlarged our Larpenter Family by many!

I pray that the Lord will richly bless you, Harold, and those precious young men! I pray that they will grow up to be world changers!!!

Beth

kayla said...

Okay, Harold told me that no one would get my demented polygamist joke. I just found it amusing that we had eight kids dressed alike, two woman dressed very "modestly" in the same colors. With all the media attention on the Texas polygamist, wouldn't it be funny to see the assumptions people would make if we started arguing. Not over Harold or Jonathan for goodness sake, just some poor nebulous soul.

kayla said...

That would be women. I don't think they all "become one" in a polygamist marriage.

Anonymous said...

Well, I got it (the polygamist joke), and it really amused me!! Really loved this blog - as always. Your stories are truly the best. :) Sorry for the rough week. Praying for you all. Blessings!

Unknown said...

Loved your post and have been visiting your blog for some time now, but didn't have email or a google account to comment on anything. I have finally joined the wonderful world of blogging and thought you might like to know. Hope you all are doing great.