Monday, January 14, 2008

Roller Coasters

Roller coasters are one of those things in life that you have to acquire a taste for. Just think about the first one you ever rode on, you stood in line with your heart pounding and your stomach churning. If you're like me someone had to plead with you not to run away. Finally you got on board, strapped on your seat belt, and the car started to move. You thought that surely you would have a heart attack as you climbed the first hill, but amazingly you made it through every hill and every loop. As you climbed off you said, "that was awesome, what a ride!". The problem is (at least for me) that it is usually a few years before you have the opportunity to ride one again. That means that once again you have to talk yourself into climbing aboard. As you stand in line you remind yourself of all the other roller coasters that your rode on and survived. You watch the people in control of the ride and realize that they know what they are doing. You listen to the people who are getting off the ride and hear them say "what a ride!". Your confidence builds until you are able to climb aboard once again ready for what is in store. In life it seems that we have our own version of roller coaster rides. For the last few weeks we have been on one of these rides. This week we are headed into one of the "upside down loops". We are confident that when the ride ends we will find that everything was under control the whole time and we are better off for having stayed on to the end. I promise that there will be a story to tell, but I won't start it until ,in the words of Paul Harvey, I can tell "The rest of the story". I've included a little video called "Assisted Mobility". Sometimes it's nice to know that there is another person out there who can relate to the ups and downs of life.

14 comments:

Kimberly said...

"Well done....."!!

Good to know "this too shall pass!"

(And it wasn't even a roller-coaster that I remember riding at the Strawberry Festival and getting very sick from!!.. you were there for that, too! Love Ya!)

(looking forward to seeing that video.)

Kimberly said...

We love it!! Go Dylan...(and hovering brothers!:)

Misty said...

Thinking of you!!

The video cracks me up, glad I am not the only one saying "Leave her alone!...." Oh, the "help" of older siblings!

Tara said...

Been thinkin' of you, girl. Hope life settles down for you in a bit, and you can get back to blogging and sharing your stories.

Great video...so cute!!!
Love ya!

A Moment in the Life of a Mother said...

Hold on Kayla. The best is yet to come. As someone has already said "This too shall pass!"

BTW, Harold did a very good job speaking Sunday night. I watched on the net as Katie was not up from her nap and she is a BEAR!! if you wake her up.

Talk to you soon.

Florida Bozone Bunch said...

I have been thinking of you. It doesn't seem like we have had much time to talk since break. I am looking forward to getting caught up on your life. Keep your chin up. Sometimes I long for more normal days. Get me off the roller coaster, and just enjoy resting for a bit.

Mary Ellen said...

Sorry you are in a "upside down loop" at the moment, I sure hope the ride smooths out for your family very soon.

I also thought Harold did a great job, if all missionary speakers were as entertaining as him there would be better offerings. "-) I loved the stories about the boys, they sure made me laugh.

The video is great - Dillon will be running before you know it. The part with the big brother cracked me up - since my youngest also has very "helpful" siblings.

Allana Martian said...

We must be on the same roller coaster! Or at least at the same park. :-) Cute video.

Twila G. said...

I have a real aversion to roller- coasters whether they are in a theme park or otherwise. I don't do well upside down. I'm usually praying,"Lord, if you'll just get me off this ride alive.....!" I'll be praying you can say "What an awesome ride" when its over!!

For some reason I couldn't open the video :( Maybe I can get my husband to help me later.....

lauralavon said...

Enjoyed the post(as well as Harold's comment on Tara's political post!) We'll keep you in our prayers as you hang on for the ride! I so agree that life can seem like a roller-coaster at times.

Eileen said...

That video is a great reminder of the ups and downs that God brings us through thank you so much for sharing see you in 10 days.

Anonymous said...

Blessings to you. May you at least keep from losing your cookies at this stage of the ride. ;) You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Bravo to Dylan for entering the brave new world of bipeds!

Julia said...

Kayla;

I'm so glad you are back. I'm not sure what Roller Coaster you are speaking of, but I know one is you've got another mobile boy to chase.:) Then again, it looks like if you need to find Dillian, just look for his brothers. hee hee

You all are in my thoughts and prayers friend. It is so comforting to trust Jesus in spite of what may come.

Kimberly said...

I finally believe you that your background is blue...now that I see it on a really nice computer here at a "Hampton" in Tx....looks beautiful!:)