Monday, January 21, 2008

"The Rest of the Story"

I have to go back about five years in order for you to appreciate the story I am about to tell. When we left TN and moved back to Fl we had great aspirations of owning our own home. We moved into a rental home while we looked at our options. We very quickly found out that homes in our price range were in bad repair or in neighborhoods that Harold wouldn't feel safe leaving his family alone in when he has overnight trips. So we opted to keep renting for awhile. About a year later we decided to start looking into putting a double-wide on campus. We did some research and found the manufacturer that was most highly recommended, their closest dealer was a company that had put a couple of others on campus. We found a lender, went and put a down payment of half the total amount down. During this time we moved out of the house we were renting and into a very small trailer, that since that time has been condemned and torn down, to save money. It was a couple of months later that we found out that we were number 36 in the line of victims of a fraud scam. Not only were we not getting the home we ordered, but we now were also out $36,000 that we had to make monthly payments on. The amount of our debt greatly limited our options for housing, FEA had nothing else available for rent, so we found ourselves in a desperate situation. Our furniture was stored in the Tabernacle and we needed to get it out soon, the trailer was so full of mold that I was constantly worried for the kids health (Collin had tubes put in his ears and his tonsils and adenoids removed during this time), besides the fact that we couldn't even fit enough beds in for everyone. It was a blessing from God when someone came to us and said that they were taking a pastorate and would like to sell us the double-wide that they had put in a couple of years before. They offered us a wonderful deal with payments we could afford on top of the money we had lost. So even though it was 700sq. ft . smaller than the one we ordered we moved in and it has been our home for the last 3 1/2 yrs. We went through years of litigation as crime victims before we were able to recover most of our lost money. During this time the housing marked skyrocketed out of sight. It was a situation that Satan used against me to the fullest extent. I became obsessed with looking for houses, I had my eyes on what everyone else had and I lost peace and contentment. Finally one day while driving down US1 I said "God you have to take away this obsession and help me to be content with what I have". I was finally able to release the situation to God and experience the power of being able to forgive someone for a wrong done. Since that time I have been content with the home God gave us. That is not to say that there are no problems, but the resentment I struggled with for so long is gone.
Now for the part you've all been waiting for. Back in Nov. while Harold was on a break at work, he decided on a whim to check out some real estate sites. This house suddenly popped up. His response was "No Way". He called our friend Arnie, real estate agent, to inquire. Arnie said "there's nothing like that in Hobe Sound", but he did some quick research and called us back. It was a foreclosure that had been listed in the wrong county. Therefore we found it before the real estate people did. He got us in to see it that afternoon and we decided to make an offer. After a few negotiations we had first option at the house for less than the asking price. We talked to all the financial experts we know and the answer was the same, "there's no way you can go wrong". Now our problem was to sell our trailer so we wouldn't have two payments at the same time. The next miracle is that someone offered to finance the house for us until we sell the trailer, therefore giving us only one mortgage payment to make. This is also great since we have to do some remodeling on the house, we have a place to live until the house is ready. Everything was going along great until the job I had been on for the last 2 1/2 yrs suddenly ended. I won't go into the details, but it was an unjust situation. Our monthly income was cut in half, but we were under a contract that we couldn't get out of. God has been so faithful to us through this situation. Our monthly support for this month was enough to cover the bills. Harold started working 8hrs on Sat, and just yesterday I got a job offer that will last until March. So the monthly income is made up.
We closed on the house last week and now are in over our heads remodeling. The people who lost the house must not have been too happy. They took the toilets, sinks, hot water heater etc. etc, etc. Thankfully our mortgage was enough to cover the cost of renovation. We are having the time of our lives. We would much rather remodel it ourselves and have the reward of living in our own design, to our own taste. It mostly needs cosmetic repair, flooring and paint, besides the toilets and stuff. I will be keeping a record of our renovation progression for all who are interested. I might even ask for your opinion every once in awhile. I promise that there will be before and after pictures for your viewing enjoyment. I realize that this has been a rather long post, but you couldn't get how wonderful God has been to us if I didn't tell "the rest of the story".

PS Please help us pray that we can sell our trailer. Maybe God can use it as a miracle for someone else.

19 comments:

Allana Martian said...

Wow! You were right about being on such a roller coaster ride! I can identify with you and am happy that you found such a good deal. I can't wait to see all the pictures. God is awesome!

Jodi said...

Kayla...I am glad to hear the rest of the story! God is faithful.

Mary Ellen said...

So excited for you guys and glad it all worked out - always neat to read the way God works things out in His time.

My Ethan has been asking me several times between yesterday and today "When can we go swimming in their pool?" He will bug me for awhile about that one...thanks a lot! "-)

Julia said...

Kayla;

WOO HOO! SO happy for you! Am I right in thinking you will have a pool? (per Mary Ellen's comment) Double WOO HOO!

I came to the conclusion, after struggling with discontentment years ago, that I would never be content in any situation until I was content where I was at that time. Contentment is a choice, I think. (I remind myself of that often.) Since you were content in your little house, I bet you'll enjoy the new home even more. SO VERY happy for you. Keep those photos coming sister.

Tara said...

Well, as you already know, I am SOOOO happy for ya'll. You deserve it a hundred times over. I am looking forward greatly to the pics of before and after renovations. Love that kind of stuff!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. I rejoice with you. I think the house has so much potential. (Thanks for the tour when I was home.) I'm excited to see the difference when I come back!

Once again God proves His faithfulness to His children who rest in Him. Blessings!!

Anita Marie said...

I can so understand the "house obsession". As we endeavour to climb the property ladder I have asked God many times to help me to be content. I'm so happy for you all and will pray that things will continue to go well. God is faithful!

Betty said...

I am so happy for you guys. We will miss you on Jordan Way, but I know the excitement you must be feeling. And It's so fun to redo and decorate a new place. Look forward to the pictures!

lauralavon said...

I am so happy for you all, Kayla! Your post brought an old Dallas Holm song to mind. Have you even heard of him? ; )
He sang "I've never seen the Righteous Forsaken"...or their seed begging for bread. It's a wonderful song. In fact, I may even sing it next Sunday in your honor!
But that's beside the point...
This post was such a joy to read. Thanks for sharing the happy news, and do let us see the progress. I love before and after pictures!
I so totally understand the learning to be content. That must be a battle many of us share and have to continue to surrender to the Lord. I think the enemy is ever seeking to get me to try to draw contentment from ANYTHING besides God Himself. Another songs comes to mind--I must be on a roll,...Michael W. Smith sings on an old album, "Hang on, it's a fight! You're a part of the army of light..." It's an invigorating message--powerful! And when I start feeling the discontentment trying to take hold, I get out that album and blast it through the house! It's awesome! I wouldn't want anyone to see me as I sing along! : )
Blessings!

Kim M. said...

So glad this is all working out for you! I am looking forward to seeing some pictures!

Twila G. said...

God is so good!! I'm so excited for you guys. Thanks for the update.

Charity said...

Wonderful! What an interesting (if painful in parts, bless you guys' hearts!) story. May your renovations go smoothly!

Liz said...

Sounds so exciting. I had no idea about any of it....but a great big CONGRATS!!

Kimberly said...

Eager to see pictures...MORE eager to actually see the new place!! You summed it up well, and so thankful with ya'll for all that has transpired!!

(and, for what it's worth..to follow up on Charity's insight..usually a "good" story has to have some painful parts.)

Kelly S said...

Your story reminds me of a Bible verse my children have memorized "Godliness with contentment is great gain".

We're so happy for you. If God has worked this much out for you, he will continue to be faithful and help you the whole way through the remodeling process, etc. But...don't get hung up on having to meet other's standards when remodeling. That too can bring a lot of pressure. David and I bought our home knowing it needed work, but also with the undertanding that we wouldn't be able to start any of the remodeling for years. It's amazing how rude people can be and how pressured you can feel when the second or third time they come to visit, that "project" still isn't finished! Grrr.

Tara said...

I wanna see pictures! No pressure though................ :)

Marty said...

I am so encouraged today by your post...as you can tell I'm a little behind. My the Lord continue to guide you through this process! So incredibly happy for your family!!!

Anonymous said...

Kayla, had no idea you were going through such a mess!!! Am also sorry to hear about your job. Know for sure the kind of nurse and person you are you should have no trouble finding another good place to utilize your wonderful nursing skills. So glad you have found a house, hope it is in a great location close to where you are now. I know your parents wouldn't want you far from them. We found out this week that Amy will be having her second son, he is due July 3rd. The ultra sound was great and he is good and healthy-no doubt it is a boy (ha ha). Love looking at your blog and watching those precious boys of yours growing. My little Ethan is no longer "little" he is quite the little man. Think of you all often and continue to miss you-you were like my daughter-I treasure the time we had to spend together. Can't wait to see you before/after pictures. Love you all,Sandra

Cathy Hall said...

I just read "The Rest of the Story" for the first time. I didn't even know the first part of the story till just now. But thanks for sharing how God has worked in your lives. It is an inspiration to me!