Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Scenes Around the Manger

A few years ago we decided to invest in a Nativity Set that the kids could play with. We were hopeful that the interaction would help them to realize the true meaning of Christmas. They really enjoy playing with it, but there are some concerns about the way their imaginations work in regards to Bible times, geographical issues, and so on. As I was cooking supper the other night I couldn't help but hear the conversation going on the other room as they played with the Nativity Set. I heard such things as "It's time for the eagle to fly" and "Baby Jesus is the winner". These statements seemed somewhat strange, but it wasn't until I went and looked at the scene on my coffee table that I fully realized just how strange it was.
I had to ask "What in the world is Hamburglar doing?". The response was "Oh, he looks like a bad guy so we made him Caesar".
It was also very enlightening to see that the Wise Men brought along a couple of giraffes and a parrot. And how refreshing to see Santa there as well.
Speaking of the Wise Men this picture will give you a new vision of what the "three" could have looked like. It is definitely different than anything I have seen before, but hey you never know.
Okay so that was the head Wise Man from the Singing Christmas Tree along with his little page and the prestigious costume designer, but it does make a funny picture.
As most of you know last week was the eleventh year our church has put on the Singing Christmas Tree. It is an event that everyone greatly anticipates. All of the boys had some little part this year. So for those of you who were not here to see them in person I will share just a few pictures. The kids who are in the Academy always do a song, this year they sang "Come and See What's Happening in the Barn". It was definitely a crowd pleaser. They all had to wear their Sunday best, preferably red or green. Ethan and Collin looked so handsome that I had to have my picture made with them.
Dylan was a snow baby during the first song. Tara H carried him around behind the sleigh. He was always mesmerized by the falling "snow" and bright lights. As you can see we are still having tongue issues.
Landon was an elf. He was supposed to wave and blow kisses. Instead he limped around on his red and green cast and looked a little dumbfounded the whole time, but he was still adorable. Here he is with all the other elves receiving their last minute instructions from the costume designer.
My Mom and I went to the mall with the two youngest munchkins. Santa was there luring innocent Moms and Grandmas to buy pictures. This one was definitely a keeper. Dylan felt very "jolly" about sitting on the lap of one who also has an issue with body parts "jiggling like a bowl full of jelly". Landon on the other hand was a bit overwhelmed to be with one who has a "list".

Well it's late and I'm tired, so goodnight for now. More Christmas scenes will be coming in the future.
PS I added the Cajun Caviar recipe on the sidebar. To those of you who have been asking for it, I'm sorry it took me so long.

13 comments:

Kimberly said...

Great stuff! and I feel much better about Santa's spiritual condition now.

Such handsome Christmas tree participants!! But poor Landon:(

Jamie said...

Love, Love the pictures!! Kayla, your blogs make me laugh almost every time! Thanks for the humor...love the updated version of the manger scene!
Have a great day!

Kelly S said...

Cute kiddos! We got to enjoy the program Friday night live via the internet. Ethan was on there quite a bit. So cute.

Tara said...

Such sweet pics, Kayla. I'm looking forward to watching the S.T. in the archives. Too busy thus far to watch it. Sure wish I was there to see it in person. I honestly think FL goes above and beyond in the celebrating of Christmas, maybe to make up for people feeling "left out" of the cold???? Anyway, there are so many Christmas activities that I miss by not being there.
You got some handsome boys there. Looking forward to another email update soon, I hope???!

Mary Ellen said...

Yipee! I think I just figured out who to suggest to come up with teh drama for the next Live Nativity ...drum roll....the Martin boys! It would be a show not to be missed, flying eagles, Jesus wins a race and whodathunk of having the Hamburglar as the "bad guy" Ceasar!?!?! I can hardly wait to see it myself!!!!

Mary Ellen said...

Oh yeah - and Dillon was, hands down, the cutest snowflake EVER!

lauralavon said...

What a refreshing post. I love hearing the stories about your kids! Keep on sharing those pics too...love 'em.

The Dickinsons said...

Cute kiddos, great pics, and we enjoyed watching the Singing Christmas tree, and saw it Friday night and Sunday night too. =)

Love, Heather and baby! =)

jenny said...

The boys looked adorable...and, you look SO pretty with them...to get a picture where I like the way the kids and mom look is quite the feat around here...I think that is a keeper for years to come!!!

We have boys with similar nativity issues...it was the rescue heroes who saved Jesus from a burning stable in our house.

The recipe looks really good...I love recipe sharing...this is going to sound silly but are field peas just the same as regular canned peas?

Julia said...

Love the picts. Yes, they are handsome boys! I hope the Hamburgular has a change of heart, what a witness your boys are for the down and out. :) Love the costumes, how adorable. Keep the pictures coming.

BTW, I love to see a kid in SANDALS on Santa's lap. Enjoy your warm weather my friend. :)

Anonymous said...

Who knows, there could have been giraffes at the manger, and, as Kimberly mentioned, it is good to see the jolly old elf paying homage. I knew I liked him for some reason, and to find out he's a Christian! Well, this is just too much.

Eileen said...

I so enjoyed looking at your blog. Especially seeing my grandson in one the pictures, the elves. Weren't they cute? Of course I wouldn't say any different. Thank you for sharing and Pray you have a very Merry Christmas!

Kim M. said...

I love the boys' manger scene. Sounds like you are talking about my boys! Cute! I had quite the chuckle over that one. :-)