Wednesday, July 2, 2008

"Summertime Blues"

The torrential downpours that plague those of us who choose to call Florida our year round home have begun. For those of you who are wondering what I'm talking about, I'll fill you in. Every afternoon during the summer here in FL we have rain. Not just a little shower, but a thunderstorm that rattles the windows and the nerves of this poor mother. I personally enjoy stormy weather, it makes me want to take a nap. This is made impossible though since I usually have four other people sitting on me "til the storm passes over". The rain also leads to severe depression or ADHD in little boys. The rain started earlier than normal today, leading to complete despondency. As I walked into my living room this morning this is the sight that greeted me. Isn't this pitiful?


Actually, truth be told we are having a good summer. Without having planned any major activities for the beginning of it we have managed to stay on the go. The boys are enrolled in the summer reading program at the public library, so we are trying to dedicate a portion of every day to school work. They actually seem to enjoy it most to the time.

On the 23rd of June we celebrated Collin's 7Th birthday. He invited some friends over to swim, the problem was the afternoon rains that I already mentioned. The friends arrived at the same time as the rain. They only got to swim for about five minutes before I had to haul everyone back in the house. They spent the rest of the afternoon playing together in the house, but I don't think anyone was to distraught over not being able to swim. The parents all came back and we grilled out for supper. Hopefully a good time was had by all in spite of the change of plans. Collin was as happy as he could be, so I guess that's all that matters.




Oops, I just got my timeline out of order. Before the birthday was of course Father's Day. I have truly been blessed with some great Father's in life. I'm so glad that my boys have some "real men" to look up to. They adore both of their Grandpas and are adored in return. Harold's Dad was in KY and mine wasn't feeling well that day, so we only have pictures of Harold. The boys and I sent him fishing the night before so that we could make a surprise for him. If you have never baked with four boys you should do it just for the experience. We decided to make a cake that we found on the Family Fun website. It really was a cute idea, for someone with more talent. I outlined a perfect tie, but when I put the icing on it ran into a rather strange shaped tie. I'm glad that it's the thought that counts. Here's Harold very proudly holding his cake. He's got to be the sweetest most handsome Dad a wife or a boy could ask for.



I choose not to subject you to pictures of our next summer project. Collin has been in need of some dental work for awhile, but we had to negotiate with the insurance company for awhile. Monday was the first of several appointments we have to get his teeth taken care of. It is a bit upsetting when the Pediatric Dentist tells you that he has had to consult with two Orthodontists on your child's case. He said, "there's just not room in his mouth for all his teeth". Hopefully he won't end up with any outside of his mouth. Anyway, on Mon. they pulled the first of two of four and made a mold for spacers. He was so brave, but at the end when they were trying for the third time so fit a mold into his mouth that was too big, he broke down. Nothing can break a Mommy's heart more than to see silent tears flowing down the cheeks of her child. The dentist almost lost an arm. He did fine (Collin) until a few hours later, I was on my way to take him to my parent's house so I could go to work. The voice from the backseat says "Mom, what's this?" I turn around to see that he had pulled the stitches out. I guess it felt funny so he decided to see what it was. We go back in two weeks, so keep us in your prayers.

The afternoon storms caused another disaster in our household. Harold planted a beautiful palm tree outside the boys window. We were so excited to see a little mother bird building her nest in it. Last week after a particularly windy storm I looked out the window to see a little blue egg lodged in one of the lower branches. I decided to have a time of learning. So we call the Wildlife Refuge who told us that we should try to put it back in the nest. I tried to be careful, I really did, but the egg was lodged in too tightly and it cracked. Luckily I took a picture before, so you my dear readers can have the opportunity to view the "unfairness of nature".

The rain has also had a strange effect on the people who work at Goodwill. We have been wanting a computer that the boys can use for awhile, so when Harold's Mom got a new one and offered us her old one, we gladly accepted. The problem was that we did not have a desk to put it on. So yesterday the boys and I hopped in Harold's van (no air conditioner) and headed out on a thrift shop expedition. After several stops we ended up at Goodwill, even though I had drug my poor friend Sonja through there on Sat. night, it just so happened that the perfect piece of furniture had arrived in the meantime. I went to the counter and paid for it not realizing that a thunderhead had developed while I was making up my mind. We ran to the car in the rain, so the receipt got quite wet. I drove around back and handed it to the little man who is back there to load and unload. "I can't even read this" he said to me. So I very kindly described the piece to him, and off he went to get it. Now I didn't time him, but it seemed that he was gone an exorbitant amount of time. He showed back up at my van window and said "You're gonna have to get out and help me". This was something I expected to do, so I hopped out ready to use my muscles. He moaned and groaned while I did most of the lifting. When we were done he turned to me and said "Next time you need come when the weather is better". I wanted to say that next time I'd bring my Doppler Radar, but you'll be glad to know that I bit my tongue. Anyway the computer is now set up and the boys are having fun. The "desk" was actually a kitchen piece, but after the wine rack was taken out it fit perfectly in their room.


Sensitive types beware, I'm fixing to go on a little tirade. The little lady that I work for watches CNN 24/7, so I am constantly bombarded with the idiocy of the media. What has me upset now though is a commercial. Some of you have probably seen it, it starts out, "this is my first son".
Basically it shows a very proud first time mom tell how wonderful her little toddler is. It ends with, "so John McCain when you said we'd stay in Iraq for a hundred years, were you counting on Alex? Cause if you were, you can't have him". Being the mother of four boys I know well the fear of losing one. I shamefully admit to having watched "Saving Private Ryan" many years ago. The scene at the beginning where they tell the Mom that she only has one son left still huants me. Maybe it's because it's almost Independence Day and I'm feeling extra patriotic, but something rises up in me and me and says "how selfish can you get". Do we really take our freedom so for granted? What if all the mother's throughout history would have had the same attitude as the one in the commercial. I guarantee that we wouldn't be enjoying the liberties that we do today. It scares me to think of all the mothers that are training their little boys with the same attitude. My number one desire is for my boys to have a real relationship with Jesus Christ, to be soldiers in his army. After that's taken care of I know that they are safe whatever they do. So if in a few years my sons choose to serve their country, don't be surprised to see me shed some tears of fear and dread, but also know that my heart is swelling with pride.

Next week are taking a little family vacation. Someone donated MFI a timeshare for the staff to take advantage of, so we are heading to Orlando for a few days. I'm sure that I will have plenty of pictures to post upon my return. Yes, we are doing the "Disney thing". We have been wanting to go since we moved back ,five years ago, just never seemed to be able to make it happen. FYI to all of you who live in FL, they're having great FL resident discounts this summer. Most of the time we travel we are on deputation or going to Haiti, so we are looking forward to some quality time together.
The week after that is VBS. It is a time I always look forward to since my boys hit the altar every night. Harold and I really appreciate this annual onset of conviction. Seriously, I am thankful that their hearts are tender and pray that they will stay that way.

In the words of General McArthur, "I'll be back". (Yes, Tara that was just to annoy you)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings from a fellow summer downpour sufferer. The rains have seriously cut into my pool time, but I'm surviving. ;) I actually kind of enjoyed the dismal day today. The only excitement was when the power went off for a few minutes at the gym where I work out. Fortunately it came back on, and all was well. (I'm feeling much more buff.) So much enjoyed our mini "Girls Night Out" the other night. It was just what the doctor ordered. (Whoever he is.)

Eileen said...

Hi Kayla, just wanted to say "Thank You" to you and Collin for inviting the boys to the birthday party. They had so much fun. Even though they didn't get to swim. I really had to detour to get out of your area, when I came back the time I thought I was picking them up. Thanks to the rain. Speaking of rain have you been praying that it doesn't rain Friday afternoon and evening? I hope so we are really looking forward to the "4th" of July Community Celebration. Thanks for sharing1

Tara said...

I was so excited to see your update, though I feel out of breath just reading it all! That's quite a lot you have going on there. BTW, that first pic is just priceless.

You know my early-onset dementia must be kicking in again. First, I forget Rice-a-Roni commercials, and now I don't recall why I'm supposed to be annoyed at the McArthur quote. What's wrong with me?!?

Anywho...I'm glad you're back in blog-world. Please come back more often! Have a blast at Disney...enough for your fam and ours too!

Mary Ellen said...

I AM SO SICK OF THE RAIN TOO!! There, I feel a little better. That picture of the boys peering out the window is priceless, that is exactly how I feel too!

I think your Father's Day cake turned out great - I loved the french cuffs, very cute touch.

Poor Collin, I had that same dilemma as a child (too small mouth and not enough room). After my parents picked themselves up off the floor when they heard the dentist announce my mouth was too small "-) I had a bunch of teeth pulled, followed by the spacer thing (I'm assuming you are talking about the one that stretches the upper jaw to allow the teeth more room to move) followed by braces followed by wisdom teeth removal. I'm one grateful girl though as I did have a set of fangs, among other scary looking teeth, since there wasn't enough room for them to descend. As an 8 year old you think that is kind of cool, by the time I would have gotten to 18, not so much. Thankfully by then all the procedure were over and I had a beautiful, straight toothed smile. During all those years, the worst experiences for me was that stupid mold thingy...we small mouthed people aren't made for those huge trays!!! I sympathize with the poor boy.

That mother bird is one brave momma to manuever around those thorns on that bush! At least you won't have to worry about anyone trying to escape through their bedroom window..yikes!

Cute wine rack, I mean computer desk, for the boys room. Your comment about wanting to tell Mr. Furniture Loader that next time you'll bring along your Doppler Radar gave me a laugh.

And last but not least...a hearty amen to your paragraph about that commercial!

Kimberly said...

It doesn't sound like the rain has stopped the busyness from happening...

Poor Collin...I feel so bad for him! xoxoxo's from Aunt Kimmie who also had too small of a mouth (believe it or not....no comments required!)so has plenty sympathy!

The cake is cute...

I haven't seen that commercial (none running here yet, thankfully!)...I guess I agree with you, but I still hope those sweet boys choose another path (yep, that's me being selfish!)

Have fun at Disney!

CharleneOwensMomof2 said...

That picture at the top is too cute! Your comment you wanted to make to the man at Goodwill made me laugh and so did Mary's comment about the wine rack.

Haven't seen that commercial, but am so over all the political stuff anyway and have been for about a year now.

Hope you all have a wonderful vacation!!

Angela said...

Yes, definitly sick of the rain, but also glad we are getting it. I agree with the comment on the boys, I want to see them first grow up to be in God's army and then if they choose to serve for our country I may shed tears, but will also be proud that they chose to fight for our freedom.

Anonymous said...

One more note. Recently I heard some talking heads discussing that commercial. Even the liberals had to admit that it was pretty over the top. They seemed to think that it wouldn't hurt McCain at all and that it was in rather poor taste. That did my heart good to hear. (the being in poor taste part) :)

Julia said...

Hey Friend;

I really enjoyed your post. The bright side of those afternoon storms is that is does tend to cool things a bit. (Sorry, I had a Pollyanna moment)

So sorry for Collin, who by the way, is the star photo on the HSBA fund raising letter that came out to all us alumni. TOO CUTE!

Amen to your comments about the selfish Mom. I'm with you, it's scary to think of sending one of my "babies" to war. It's scarier though to think they wouldn't understand the value of sacrifise for something bigger than themselves. I think it speaks of a generation being raised to think they are the center of the universe. Ok, I'm off my soap box.

SO, thanks for the update. Hope you have a great time in Orlando. You all deserve a vacation. I'm so happy for you.

Allana Martian said...

If we don't get outside in the morning, we are stir crazy come evening time! We have been eating lots of popcorn and playing rounds of Horse-Opoly to pass the rainy afternoons.

I'm SO glad that the lady I work for prefers Fox news! I would have to shoot myself if I were subjected to hours of any other news channel!

BTW, it didn't rain today!

Kim M. said...

It's amazing how the rain is down there. I remember that when I was in college.
Bless Collin's heart. Justin's teeth are the same way... not fun!
Grrrr... that commercial would make me furious too. Thankfully I haven't seen it. How dare they play something like that! I bet it would infuriate a mother whose son is over there fighting right now!